Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's been an interesting couple of weeks.

As you might expect, we have a weekly community worship service here at school. In the fall these are planned and led by the faculty, and in the spring the graduating students take turns. I wanted to get it over with before the work of the semester really picked up, and so I volunteered to be the first student this spring. This involves not only simple things like picking hymns, but preaching to all the other students and all the professors.

The musican for community worship, who comes in just for that, has a reputation of being fairly bossy when it comes to the music. He also insists on including at least one piece that he wrote in every service. Knowing this, I didn't consult him at all when I picked my hymns, and just let him know what they were. He pushed back on a couple of the hymns, but when I pointed out why I had a chosen them, he agreed. A few of them were traditional texts (the Magnificat) and I let him choose what music they were set to. He chose music he had written.

The sermon part went pretty well. It took quite a long time to write, and I still had a bit of finishing to do the night before. This was also the night of the inaugeration of the new Indigenous Studies Center (a new name for work that has been going on for a while). I thought I'd slip down there for an hour, and then have lots of time work on my sermon. I didn't realize that Native time is a lot like Sri Lankan time - things take as long as they take! The keynote speaker alone was an hour, and there were lots of other speeches, and some west coast dancing. It was great, but I didn't get home till 10:30, which meant that the sermon got finished quickly!

It went well though. People seemed to like it. Our Distinguished Theologian in Residence Sallie McFague, told me that it was good, and she was proud to have me graduate from the school. That was nice to hear, especially since Sallie is not shy about speaking her mind!

That was the first interesting thing. The other is adventures in babysitting. A fellow student, Patrick, is around the same age as I am, and is married with a 20 month old daughter. Mallory (Patrick's wife) is taking a course at UBC, and yesterday she had to get some work done. Patrick was at his field placement. So, they asked me to babysit. A toddler.

Actually, it went ok. I was only there for an hour or so, and Esther and I spent the whole time playing. She likes to read, and her book of the day was one that I remember from when I was growing up "There's A Monster At The End Of This Book", starring Grover. I was pretty happy to read that to her, and she was happy to listen.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Whenever you have preached or spoken here, people always tell me how good you are. I realize they wouldn't tell your mom that it was bad, but they don't have to say anything at all. So I am not surprised that your service went well. Do you have to choose hym book hymns?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I forgot all about that book until I read that! Good times. I know you nailed the sermon buddy, that's what you do.

3:15 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

You do a good sermon Will!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Mary Jeanne R. Olaivar said...

Dear Will,
I have all the respect for your Anglican vocation. I am a Filipina lay Catholic, I'm 31. I am just starting to write my blog. I have read yours and I find it clear. Thank you and God bless!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home