Tuesday, August 17, 2010

End of co-op/start of school

In May I finally moved out of Lister, the dorm-style residences I've lived in for the past three years, and into East Campus Village, an apartment-style residence. It's a pretty decent place, nothing to write home about really, but I have my own room which is a change from Lister. All the time I was living there I had a roommate, sharing the same white cinder-blocked cube, sharing a bathroom with 10 other people and a TV with 35. I don't mind it but I feel like I'm actually living "on my own" now.

That means I have to cook. Luckily mom supplied me with a lot of her recipes, and I've been cooking out of some cookbooks from AJ. I cook the full amount, which normally is good for 3 meals (that's the target zone, +/- one day) - so I only cook about twice a week. I'm always surprised when I throw together a bunch of random crap and at the end of the day it actually tastes approximately correct.

I'm winding down my co-op job at PricewaterhouseCoopers for the year - last couple weeks were surprisingly busy. This week everybody realized I was leaving so they're madly reviewing a bunch of work I did in case there are changes (which there almost always are) and so I'll probably be working OT all this week to tie up the loose ends.

The firm offered me a second co-op term (May-August 2011) and a full-time job after graduation. Nothing to get too worked up about however, this is SOP if you're half-decent at the job. It's one of their primary sources of associates to work 60-hour weeks in audit. Haven't decided if I'll take it yet. Accounting is okay but not great; on the other hand the prospect of a guaranteed job after walking through the door with my degree is really attractive.

For fall I'm signed up for the usual slate of classes. I'm also an RA (resident assistant) for the apartment residences I'm in now, along with another small residence role. As well, I'm a TA (teaching assistant) for the intro operations management course, and am sitting on the Operations Management Club again. Should be a busy year. Hopefully I can handle it all.

Next week I start training for the RA job (got first-aid certified on the weekend), and once that's done then back to school!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I cannot believe all the things you have going on Sam, it makes me tired just hearing about them. I have to disagree about the next co-op position and job offers as SOP, I think they can see what a great job you have done, and would count themselves lucky to have you as an employee. If you do take that Job with them after graduation, then I will be hoping to see you on TV one day with the Oscar results in a locked briefcase.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Yes, Sam, I feel tired also. I also wish you could come houseboating.

9:16 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Sam-when will you go to school? Your time will be spent doing associated stuff.

5:55 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Way to go Sam, but where do you get the energy>

6:31 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Your posts always make me laugh. Let me know if you want some good recipes. (I do the same - cook, then eat the same thing for five meals in a row!) Or if anyone else is interested, I could start a recipe wiki so we can share.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

I like that idea Anne, I am always looking for something new to cook.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home