Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday too

Our friend Amy called last week from Edmonton to see if we would put up a friend of hers (former youth group member) who was taking a wilderness first aid course around here. These church people, only call you when they need something. Anyway, we said that would be fine and she turned out to be a very nice girl, around Grace's age and an easy guest. Then we heard from Geoff's cousin John who was going to be in town with a friend, so invited them for supper one night, the evening after Suzy arrived. Grace was working that night, so I thought I would barbecue salmon (Grace doesn't like fish). I was feeling smart, since fish is fast and delicious. So anyway there I was cooking supper when Suzy got home and she quietly said to me, "I guess I should have told you I am a vegetarian." OK, well she could have the brown rice and vegetables, that would be fine. Then John took me aside and said, "My friend Joan doesn't like fish. Is there something else you could make for her?" Aaagh! So much for my clever plans. We have a lot of fish left over.
We did have a good visit, though, and good week with Suzy. She studied every night, but on Thursday Grace and her buddies took her to the river for a bit, so she got to see some of Rocky anyway.
Bernie, my friend at work, does the restaurant review column for the paper. It is not a critique because they have to be positive columns but she does a good job of them. This month it was the turn for the Nordegg Lodge, so Geoff and I went out today with Bernie and her husband. It was a wild game buffet, all wild meat: elk, bison, venison, wild boar, rabbit stew, duck. It was good. I have never really eaten wild meat and was somewhat leery of it. Suzy would have been hard-pressed to find something she could eat. We had a good visit with Lee and Bernie. Lee's dad was a miner at Nordegg and Lee was the last baby born at the hospital before the town shut down.
Today was a beautiful day, I got lots done in the yard and Grace and I had a nice time later sitting on the patio with our gin and tonics. She told me stories about her clients at the Clearwater Centre.

3 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

What did you fill in with? for the non fish/meat eaters? I know you had a great dessert, because there always is at your house.

8:07 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I wondered the same thing! Maybe chocolate cake?
I dreamt I made one last night-it seemed very real

9:10 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I got some chicken breast out of the freezer and barbecued it with the fish. Bought a chocolate cake kind of thing at M&M. Lisa, go to M&M Meats, they have good chcolate cake.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home