Sunday, January 17, 2010

John Wort Hannam

What a great kickoff to the new year music wise, Geoff, Theresa, Grace and I all went to see him last night at Queen Alexandra Hall, and it was a fabulous concert. There is something about seeing a person perform in a small venue, that seems to make it seem as though he sings right to you. Theresa was sitting on the first seat in the row, and when John came in he passed right next to her, she could have reached out and touched him. The musicians playing JWH (as Will calls him) were amazing as well. You could tell that they had spent quite a bit of time playing together. I think all of them were with John in the summer at folk fest. The concert was a CD release, for his new one, so we did our part and picked one up. I listened to a bit of it last night after we got home and of course he played a lot of songs from it at the concert. Next up Fiddler on the Roof at the Jube on Thursday.

I had supper last week with a woman I worked with on the project at the Government last year. One of the things I have found about project work is that I usually find at least one person, that I keep in touch with after the project ends. Usually it is through email, but in this case Karen lives in Sherwood Park and works at the government, so we actually get to meet in person. She was living in Red Deer, but got a job working in Edmonton with the group that administers the HR/Payroll system, so she and her husband and dog, moved here. I admire anyone who can make a change like that in the middle of their career. I am not sure I could just pack up and leave all my friends and family to permanently live somewhere else.

I had an email last week about a potential project with Alberta Health services, starting sometime in the spring. The timing would work out nicely, about the time I am done with my current project. I knew they had put my resume in with the proposal, but was not sure what our chances were of getting the contract. It is still not for sure, but if it works out then it means more time at home, at least I think it would be at home, I guess it could be in Calgary. anyway will keep you posted on the outcome.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

That would be a nice thing about always working with different people.
Bill Bourne is coming here-I don't like him, but it always reminds me of Folk Fest

11:39 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

John Wort Hannem. That. Voice. His new CD is good (as Will already told me) but seeing him in person is a whole new dimension.
Talked to Anne tonight, we made tentative plans for when she and Del are in Alberta. I'm looking forward to it.
It seems we are making biweekly trips to Edmonton. Back in 2 weeks for Sam's scholarship luncheon. Then 2 after that to see Anne and Del and pick Grace up for reading week. We are very grateful for our lovely host, Judith.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Are you starting to miss travelling?

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home