Sunday, December 27, 2009

Kelowna Christmas

Had an interesting Christmas here in Kelowna. Al is here (Kelowna) which is nice. We opened our stockings on Christmas morning and then Lisa and I discovered we had to be out the door in 15 minutes if we were going to make it on time for church at 10. So there we went roaring down the street en route to the United Church only to discover the parking lot empty and apparently the service was on Christmas eve.

Round one begins...
.
RW-Didn't you know that there was no service today?
LW-Don't hassle me I have been going to church while you were at work!
RW-Well didn't they announce there was no Christmas day service?
LW-Well I didn't go last week so how should I know!
RW-O.k. then let's go to the Christian Reformed Church...they have a service at 10:30

Round two begins...

LW-No! I don't want to go there!
RW-Why?!
LW- It would just be weird!
RW-Why!?!
LW-Because we used to go there and now we don't!
RW-What's the big deal...we'll just sit in the back and be the first ones out!
LW-No...it never works like that!
RW-It's Christmas morning and I just want to go to church!
LW-Fine! Go to the RC church!

Round Three...

(Drive by of Roman Catholic church but it's closed)
RW-now what?
LW- Go to the Anglican Church
(service there is over)
RW-Now what?
LW- go to other United Church
(nothing there)

Round Four...

RW-I,m giong to the CRC... they have a service
LW- Fine!

(silent morning...angry morning...not all is calm...not all is bright)

RW-Ok...if we drive past the Presbyterian church en route and there is a service we'll go there
LW-Fine
(nothing there)
RW-(pulls over on side street) Are you ok with going to the CRC
LW-Well I wouldn't put it that way but let's just go
RW-Never mind ...why don't we just go home
LW-No. I saw cars in the Baptist church down the road...lets go there
RW-There was no sign about a Christmas Day service
LW-People wouldn't be pulling in if there wasn't
RW-Fine we'll go there

And the final Knock-out punch...

Service at the Baptist church has really old folks...NO young people...Choir begins to sing...in German...yes...turns out the service is in German as well...Lisa eyeballs me...eyes the isle and during the middle of a prayer leans into me and wants to make a break for it...I say not during a prayer...about 10 minutes later people are getting their German hymnals out and stant to sing a song....the time is now and we make an exi!

And that was just the start of the day!

Richard

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht,
Alles schläft; einsam wacht
Nur das traute hochheilige Paar.
Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar,
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!

10:42 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

It gets even better...So we get back to our place to pick up Al (who is amazed at how fast the service was)and have some more laughs, then head over to Beth's. Al hands out the presents from under the tree and notices her pile is smaller than everyone elses. Apparently some gifts had been mislabelled and Lisa was double dipping getiing both the gifts for Lisa and the gifts for Al that were from your mom! So that got sorted out and all was well until all gifts were opened and Al realized she didn't get a big gift. "I will not be denied a big gift" said Al. "I'm going to find out who had my name"! (Don't know about anybody else in the room but at that moment I was thinking...oh crap please tell me I didn't buy for the wrong person...did I have Al's name?!?!) Turns out Lisa thought she had Beth's name but in actual fact had Al's name! Ooops! Al was quite gracious about it all though.

Richard

6:25 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

When I talked to Theresa on the phone she said, "Lisa gets all the good stuff and you get all the trash."

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home