Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Offers

I got co-op job offers Friday. And so ends a two-month saga - 19 applications, 11 interview invitations, 10 interviews, 3 second interviews, 3 office receptions, a lunch, and 5 offers. The accounting recruitment process is very long. For example, for E&Y there was a first interview on campus, a second interview downtown, an office tour, a lunch, and then an office reception. Most firms do some variant of that, which makes the whole experience very draining.
In case you were interested (which is a rather tenuous assumption), they are:

Solution 105 Consulting - Data Analyst. This company does forecasting and budgeting for companies needing to manage their utilities.
PricewaterhouseCoopers - Tax associate. One of the largest accounting firms in the world.
Auditor General's office - Staff auditor. Audits government agencies and departments on behalf of the people of Alberta.
Running Room - Junior accountant. Chain of stores selling running shoes, apparel, accessories, and offers running clinics; publishes a running magazine.
Merit Contractors Association - HR Research Assistant. Non-profit that provides a benefit program, advocacy, and training to non-unionized workers and contractors in the Albertan construction industry.

Quite a range there. Even the three accounting ones are totally different. I was quite disappointed that I didn't get offers from either of my top two choices, Ernst & Young and KPMG (both large accounting firms)... but I suppose I should count my blessings and so on. I really have no idea what they base their selection process on anyway, so I don't know what I would need to change.

I ended up going with PricewaterhouseCoopers - it was a straight toss-up between that one and the Auditor General.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

whooo, Sam! Will you be with PWC for 8 months?

8:44 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Well done Sam!
You will be great!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Yes, January to August.

11:05 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

5 offers - that is really great - must have been hard to choose - am sure you chose well and that is hardly a small firm

1:17 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Does this mean you will need office apparel? And where will you be working?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Maybe they will let you count Oscar votes.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Depending on whether I end up in audit or tax, I will work mostly at clients' workplaces or in the PwC offices, which are downtown near City Centre.

Yes, I will need respectable office apparel as a matter of fact.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

One of the funniest things I ever read about 'office apparel' was from Six Feet Under (TV show) -- this 18-year old woman got an office job and had to wear pantyhose, etc. She came home and said to her mother, "Well, I better go take off my hot dog costume now."

11:53 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

That is such great news Sam. Just remember that when you go to client sites, they will treat you with suspicion, the visit of the auditor sends a chill down peoples spine. I speak from personal experience.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home