Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The View From My Window

This is my view from my room at the Hotel Kriti, near the old Venetian Harbor in Chania! I shared a cab from the conference today with a man from Kuwait; when I told him that it had recently snowed in Edmonton, he said, "Make sure you take the warmth from here to your home!"

We did our presentation today. I was very nervous this morning: did paper suck, was there a problem that I hadn't ironed my skirt, did my boss think I was crazy, etc. Then suddenly, paper was done. The end.

I got about 3 hours' sleep last night -- anxious about paper, nervous that people would think it was bad, a bit jetlagged, etc. So although sessions are going til 9pm tonight, I am back at hotel at 6:30. I am going to stare into space and maybe read a book. Or not.

Rest of week is just listening to other people present and eating the delicious Greek snacks at coffee break (filo and cheese with honey, spanikopita, etc.). Tomorrow they do an excursion but because I like to do my own thing, and because I am staying an extra week, will duck out of it. May spend tomorrow afternoon by the pool

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I much prefer your view than Theresa's. It is nice to get the presentation over early then just enjoy the rest of the conference.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Yes, your view is much better. You didn't say how your paper went after all.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

It went fine! One of my worries was that there was a speaker / organizer who has done a lot of work in the area we were talking on, and I worried that he would attend and stand up and say: "OBVIOUSLY you have not even CONSIDERED the most basic research completed in this area!" He did not attend and we were not denounced. We had a couple of interesting questions after.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home