Thursday, May 14, 2009

Setting the Church Ablaze

No, not literally. Almost though. See, St. Saviour's is heated mostly by a woodstove. There is electric heat, but not much of it. The first job of the morning, even before Morning Prayer is getting the fire lit. I'm becoming very grateful for all the years at the cabin- I have no problems lighting fires. So this morning I had the fire going, but it was pretty smokey. I opened the door and was poking around a little bit, when all of a sudden this earsplitting bell goes off. Turns out the church is wired with smoke detectors and fire alarms. Before I could even do anything the door opens, and two men rush in, asking what the problem is. I'm right by the park gate, so the maintainence people got there really quickly. They didn't seem too concerned about me setting off the alarm - quite a few of the buildings are heated by woodstoves, and I gather this is not an unusual occurance. They did tell me that my chimney was crooked (from the snow this winter) so not to add any wood to the fire, and not to light another until they fix it. So I had to spend a second day with only the paltry electric heat (and my boots are not insulated!). I spent most of the day standing over a register, and when even that was not enough, I went out visiting to find other, more heated buildings.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

How very adventurous - but also a bit scary. One would hope it warms up enough soon that you don't need additional heat.
I must report that my idiot neighbor sort of repaired the 1st 8' of fence - he was able to do this because of your roping up his posts to hold them erect - but the post at the other end of the section is still leaning way over on his side - what a dork!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I thought maybe you set the church ablaze with your fiery preaching.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Well, it's not like he's Pentecostal. Or Baptist, even.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

Mom, such strong language. he is a dork, you are right

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home