Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pecked to Death by Ducks

That phrase is from that biography of Ann Landers Mom had that I read about 50 times.

I'm feeling a lot of work frustration due to peers being anal retentive and crabby; I'm not your dang secretary, librarians. The non-crabby peers agree that working with librarians is like being pecked to death by ducks.

In other news, I am going to start a yoga drop-in class this week. I am hoping it encourages me to pursue other forms of exercise, in the cardiovascular and strength-building genres.

I just watched a good Australian movie called 10 Canoes, in which a white Australian director worked with a little Aboriginal community to make the movie. Almost more interesting was the documentary on DVD about the making of the film, and how difficult it was for the 2 cultures to communicate with each other. I am sometimes baffled by how hard communication can be -- but I guess it's a lot of work to do it really really well and not assume other person is making your same assumptions.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

the question is - why would anyone allow themselves to be pecked to death by ducks? Somehow, its just not worth it - I've learned by years of living and a near death experience that one shud not sweat the small stuff - not that it always works for me! Drop in yoga sounds like a good idea - exercise and tension relief (from the pecking ducks) combined

11:39 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm taking yoga this semester and it is awesome. Nice to be forced not to stress for 1.5hours per week! Is the drop-in class at Kinsmen? I used to do that. The lady who taught it was kinda weird, though - she would unexpectedly come up behind you and grab you to readjust. Very off-putting.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think Geoff feels duck-pecked at work.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

My teacher is really great -- his name is Joe and he's totally middle-aged with a big ring of puffy hair. He says things like "If I see someone doing this pose and they lose their balance, it's because they are taking a risk, instead of playing it safe. There is no such thing as failure." I heart him already.

It's at this little fancy yoga place that opened a block from my home. Convenient!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home