Sunday, October 12, 2008

Home Again, Home Again Jiggetyjig

And happy to be here, I love to travel, but coming home is wonderful.

London was fabulous, going back to someplace is great, cause you don't feel that pressure to see everything because you may not be be back again. On Thursday morning I went to the V&A, they had an exhibition of the costumes of the Supreme's. With interviews from Mary Wilson. It was so cool. Intertwined with that there was also information about the civil rights movement. In one of the parts they were talking about the riots in July of 1967 in Detroit, and it reminded me that we were there on our way home from Expo at that time.

Anne and I stayed at the Hilton, in Holland Park. A really nice area of London, and a bit quieter than some other places. I booked using the IBM Corporate Rate, so got it at a reasonable price, well reasonable for London. As Anne said it was great to have access to the lounge, they served breakfast in the morning, Tea in the Afternoon, and drinks and hot hors doevres at night.

All of the news in Britain and over in Portugal was all related to the world financial crisis. it was kind of scary, because of course there was not much news from Canada, so i did not have any idea if our country was sinking along with the rest of the world. I did look at the CBC website a couple of times, and got a little reassurance there.

Because I did not take any pictures when I was at the Algarve, here is the link, showing what the suite looks like, the only difference is that the tile at the head of the bed was green. if you click on the links at the top of the page, you can see what the resort looks like.

I was quite impressed with some of the green measures that are being taken at the hotels, none of them have recycling, at least not the same way we do, but in order to turn on the electricity for lights and the air conditioning, you have to put your key card in a little slot, inside the room. So when you are out and about during the day, the room is not being cooled when there is no one in it. I remember when Theresa and I were in Britain that books were pretty reasonably priced. Well not any more, I think that they pay more than we do here. I took a cab to and from the airport, I thought it would be massively expensive, but found there was not that much difference between Edmonton and London.

I have been just enjoying being at home, so nice to be in my own bed, and making coffee in my own kitchen. Starting to gear up for my new project, it will be great to be home for the next year, and walking back and forth to work is another bonus. I will be posting pictures from the trip and will send you all the link.

7 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

Welcome home - Jude. I always think the best part of a trip is your own front door. I does sound like a fab time for you and am so glad you could go before the world as we know it falls apart! Know its only temporary (the economy) but it will probably take some time to recover as it always does - it sounds a lot like the great depression as I remember the history of the beginning, but the experts are all saying it won't be. Altho why we should belive them, I don't know. They also told us that this wouldn't happen.
They are all ready for Thanksgiving in Rocky - great - we are having ours big dinner tomorrow so it will fit in with Lisa's work, so today I make cabbage rolls, etc.
I went to the Dr for a checkup Fri and en route had a fall and she put 4 stitches in my elbow which hit the pavement - its a bad idea to be in a rush and not pay attention! Anyway it proved i don't have osteoporosis as I didn't break anything. Had a number of lab tests but of couse no results for a bit, but she said everything seems normal.

will - you and Stu look really cute together, but as I recall your mom's right - he does look taller on stage (high heels?)
What time are the flights from AB and Van arriving here on Fri and who needs to be picked up?

10:50 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Oh I forgot - Stan is having his colon cancer op on Tues - would either of you Edmontonians be able to pop in and see him next week? He expects to be ther (at th U hosp) for about a week - if you could see him & report I'd appreciate it

11:06 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I kept meaning to let you know, Mom. We will be on the 10 p.m. flight on Thursday. We rented a car, so no one has to pick us up. I know you don't like to stay up late, but maybe could leave the door open for us or something like that.
When we found out about a late flight on Thursday we realized that it would give us 3 whole days with you.

3:10 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Thur nite, giving you extra time is great - in your honor I will wait up! Actually, I stay up later these days if gien a reason - happy thanksgiving to all

3:54 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Welcome back, Hudith!

It is good to be home. I feel that & was just away for a week.

I can go see Stan -- it's very easy for me to stop in -- I'll go by Wednesday.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I will stop by too. If Al is going on Wednesday I will go Thursday or Friday.

7:25 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Thanks to you both

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home