Sunday, August 10, 2008

Home from a great festival

Well, my folkfest is over, and I'm safe back home. I got into Edmonton late Thursday, and went straight to Jude's, aided by a helpful shuttle driver who dropped me at the front door! I met up with Al and Lisa and their friend Carmen for a really good lunch at the wildflower cafe. I had roast beef and yorkshire pudding poutine. Then it was back to Jude's to wait paitiently (except Al) for Laura to drive us to the site. Al and I waited in line- no colour lottery for us, but we got a good spot. The music on Friday was good- I saw Tom Russell who I knew I liked, and Outlaw Social, who I didn't know I liked, and who are from Victoria. Saturday was up early for the colour lottery with Jude and Al and Mom and Grace (Laura drove us). We did ok, and Al got an awesome tarp spot! The day was super fun, and super hot. Tim, Ty and I beat the heat in the beer garden after the 2:00 mainstage show. I saw more of Tom Russell, and Ridley Bent, whose a sort of urban country singer. Very good. The main stage that night wasn't too exciting, so when we felt a few drops of rain, we packed up quickly. Turns out it was a good thing, since it started to pour when we dropped off Lisa.
I got up early to help with the colour lottery, and my luck helped us get a spot in the third round! I'm anxious to hear how good the spot was. A quick brekkie, and Mom drove me back to the airport. A busy, fun weekend, with lots of good music, and lots of good new music! I was so glad I was able to go - thanks again Jude!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

That was a great weekend. I always like it when I see some people I thought I liked and have it reconfirmed, then see some I haven't been familiar with and find I like them. And the ticket lineup was fun, we are still able to refine things even after all these years. How was the Sunday night main stage, you all? Wish we could have stayed. But it's better to leave wanting more than leave feeling sick of it all.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Our spot on Sunday was *excellent* -- about 4 tarps back from the speaker. And it was loud, but not too loud. Thanks for your luck, Will!

Sunday night was good -- though I fell asleep for Peatbog Faeries and ate dinner during Duhks, Chris Isaak was *stellar*. He's hilarious -- he's very irreverent about fame. But has such an amazing voice. He sang "Love Me Tender" and ran up the hill while singing it. He also wore a pink suit with sequins. For the encore, he wore a mirrored suit.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

So if anyone gets a chance to see Chris Isaak in concert, go, he is fabulous.

I really love it when we have a good crowd on the tarp for the festival. I told Ty, that next year, I was going to call him, and make sure he comes for more than Sat and Sun.

Lisa drove out to the airport with me, even though it made her very early for her flight, so she got meet Alex, the driver I usually get, for going to and from the airport. We had coffee, and were waiting for my section of the plane to be loaded and who did Lisa see but some of Broken Social Scene members, she went up to them and told them she really liked their concert, at the festival. And I sat in the row in front of them of on the plane!! Very cool. But not being as brave as Lisa, did not talk to them.

Will, it was my pleasure to enable you to attend the festival. I saw Jim White twice on Sunday, which really made my day.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Jim White was so great. And I love the Ridley Bent CD Laura got me for my birthday.
Allison is not a Celtic person.
I wanted more of the Sadies.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

awwww, I love the Sadies. Sniff.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home