Monday, August 04, 2008

Culture!

It's been a cultureful weekend for me! Friday night Fred Eaglesmith was in town. I discovered him at Folkfest a few years ago, and have a couple of his cds. It's sort of alt. country - he does lots of songs about trains. The show was in one of the smaller clubs downtown, and I got there a bit early. There was no where really to sit- some tables, but they were all taken. The people there were mostly men about dad's age, all looking pretty excited, and their wives, some of whom looked excited. There were a few younger people there, but it really was a middle aged men audience. The show was really good and he was really funny. I think his line of the night was "every time I see a hippie, I close my eyes and think of the subdision where they'll be living in 15 years".

To add to the culture of the weekend, tonight was the Symphony Splash. This is an annual thing in Vic, where the Victoria Symphony plays a free show on a barge in the inner harbour, and everyone come and sits on the lawn of the Leg and the Empress to listen. It was a great show, and finshed with the 1812 overture with cannons and fireworks. I went with a couple friends, and we passed the evening playing crib and yahtzee. The music was quite good - I like classical music a lot more when I can play a game or something while listening to it! (Which goes to show that the culture isn't sticking).

Tommorow night there is another free concert downtown for BC 150th - Feist and Sarah McLaughlan, neither of which I'm too fussy about, so I don't know if I'll go. And then next weekend is Folkfest!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

FEIST?! Dude, you gotta go! Lucky rat, when she toured here it was in a giant expensive venue in London and I couldn't go.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

That sounds like a nice lead up to this weekend Will, I think Fred Eaglesmith is playing here too at FF. I wish I was in Victoria today, I would LOVE to see both Sarah and Feist, and for free, even better. Instead I will get back to work (sigh).

5:37 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Will, go see them. besides, even if you aren't all that fussy, music is always better live.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home