Wednesday, April 16, 2008

No News is Bad News

Sooo... last time I updated I was waiting with bated breath as the Bangor Psych Dept committee met to decide whether they were going to accept my supervisor's offer (to pay for half of my funding if the department would stump up the other half).

Eventually my supervisor called. I said, "Did they decide?!" and she said, "They decided... that they can't make a decision on this right now."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and also ARGHHHHHHHHHH

So, as it would clearly make no sense to turn down guaranteed funding in Guelph, I had to send my letter in saying yes. And this time my supervisor paid to courier it, so no trips to Llandudno necessary! I'm not sure if Bangor will turn around and make an offer or what I'll do if they do, but for the moment that's how it stands.

Apart from that, not much else new. Working like crazy to get my coursework done (my thesis has now changed as of last week due to technical difficulties, so lots of catching up to do). There's a fencing competition at the weekend to determine the Man at Arms/Lady at Arms for the year, which I've been coerced into attending. Oh, and the weather's gotten sunny and gorgeous suddenly!

11 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Pros:
- Guelph is a cute city!
- you are nearer to Toronto & cheap european flights
- you are fully funded
- you will have your phd before anyone else in family

Cons:
- I'd rather visit you in Wales
- air quality not so hot: no running outside on smog days

10:21 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Bangor doesn't seem very organized - sorry it appears you won't be there next few yrs - glad I went to visit this year. On the other hand Guelph is closer to AB, the funding is set and sounds reasonable, etc - not that it helps any if you wanted so much to stay in Bangor. I add my grrrrrs to yours

11:55 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thanks for the grrrrs and the info about Guelph! I suppose whatever happens it will work out for the best... at least that is the theory I am going with!

As for visiting, there's always the chance of a nice juicy post-doc somewhere interesting...

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats either way. Think of it this way- you might be able to get home for Christmas when in Guelph! Although Canadian flights aren't much different in price than international there would be less jet lag though. I understand the frustration-- especially when it is due to procrastination or lack of wanting to make a decision. We have all been waiting eagerly to see what the outcome would be. Our Best wishes are always with you.
BA

7:11 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I was happy to see you were waiting with bated breath. Most of the time I see it spelled baited breath. It's only good if you are fishing.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Will said...

It's even suspect if you're fishing, unless you've not had much luck, and are REALLY hungry. Or are a fish.

9:59 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Guelph is not far from St Catharines, so we can combine Sivak and Wensink visits.
Guelph really is a nice city. It even has a cathedral.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

The fact that I am a spelling nerd is probably your fault, mom. I blame you for the punctuation obsession as well.

I am now willing to grudgingly admit that there are probably some good things about Guelph. It ain't north Wales, though.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Guelph may have a cathedral but I'll be there's no castle. And the cathedral is probably only a hundred or two years old.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

By the way, how long does it take to finish your Master's?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm technically done in October, but will write my thesis fast if I go to Guelph as they start in September. It's a year for a masters in the UK, 2-3 years in Canada.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home