Monday, April 07, 2008

Clipping along

April is going quite well, all things considered. Although I had/have eight exams this month altogether, I'm feeling like I can really rock this semester without stupid courses like, for example, calculus to deal with. I have my German oral final exam tomorrow, and then my five regular finals start Monday.
In March, I applied for four jobs for next school year. I didn't get the resident assistant job, which was disappointing, or a job in the Lister mail room, but surprisingly, the two interviews I thought I did worst in were the positions I was offered, and the ones I wanted most as well.
I am next year's Lister Foods Ombudsman. I'm not totally sure what I have to do, but it seems to mostly consist of chairing Lister's food committee meetings and getting lots of student input into the food-service on campus, and act as liason between the students and our despised university restaurant contractor, ARAMARK. I dazzled my interviewers with lots of buzzwords; then, I had a Facebook message from the current FO, who was on the interview team, and she pretty much told me I had the job 24 hours before my official offer came. That was quite interesting, how fast technology is compared to the actual bureaucratic process. Anyway, I'm quite excited about this position and I've got some ideas about how to improve student participation and food-service delivery on campus. This is right up my alley.
The other job is at Career and Placement Services (CAPS) for the U of A. This interview had an interesting format; they have you give a short presentation before the formal interview, highlighting why you should get the job. I ran out of time before I finished, and didn't seem be exactly impressing them during the interview part, so I wrote it off - but I got a call for it today.
Both of these are pretty visible positions and will really look good on my resume. Plus, they pay pretty well too.
However, I still don't have a job for the summer, and am still hoping something comes up from the 9 resumes and personalized cover letters I distributed during Reading Week.
Now that you've nodded off reading all about ME, I'll let you go... But suffice it to say I'm rather pleased with myself at the moment. This feeling probably won't last past my first exam, but for now, Sam is walking on sunshine.

11 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Are you wearing stirrup pants too?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Are you accepting both jobs?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

If you've got 2 jobs for next year you won't necessarily have to find a really high-paying one in the summer. I am watching The Mountaineer for you, I think there a couple of summer jobs going the paper this week, will let you know tomorrow.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Scratch that, I just got offered a placement at Quinn for Husky. Probably due to my good friend, George "P.Eng" Vansteenis.

And yes, I think I will probably accept both positions. They are really both too good to pass up.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

You're always fairly pleased with yourself, sir!

Congratulations, though! All three sound like excellent jobs. You will be rolling in the dough if you have an oilfield summer job PLUS term-time jobs. Well done!

2:34 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Is that Vinnie's Dad?

4:55 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Yes, Vinnie's. Yay George. He may have given you an in but they will be glad they hired you. A day job! No weekends!

7:28 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

way to go Sam - do you just luck in or is it because of your superior personality and skills?

8:50 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Well done Sam, obviously you are in great demand!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Must be luck, my interviews are never anything to write home about. Lots of times I have a hard time figuring out what the question really is, and what they want to hear.

12:52 PM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

I think that all 3 jobs are because of his dad whose fame is legendary.

Hey Slim, are they bidding you up like Annie ?

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home