Friday, October 05, 2007

Bangor, Gwynedd: Holiday Destination

hello hello, was inspired by Sam's post even though I have been quite good lately at posting on my own blog.

Just wanted to remind you all that North Wales is beautiful, and that you must all try to come visit! Bangor's what *I* would call a small town, except because it has a cathedral it is a city. That's how it works in these parts. It's sort of a mixture of building styles, not like Edinburgh where large parts were all built in one decade. Ramshackle in places but with some gorgeous buildings as well. Liam's just sent me a camera, so provided it keeps working I will go take some photos tomorrow and post them for you.

Being on the ocean and kind of touristy, of course there is a pier. One of those long Victorian ones (recently restored). 25p to walk along it, and a cute little tea-house at the end run by a cute little guy and his wife, with insanely good scones and tea. I think I may well be taking my laptop/textbooks out there when I'm sick of the lab.

The cathedral is nice, though not extravagant. You get the feeling it's not the richest in the country. It has those little hand-embroidered cushions made by the Ladies' Auxilary in 1938 (I made the Ladies' Auxiliary part up, but they all say 1938 along the edges). It also has a shop, which I find totally bizarre. Sort of a money-changers in the temple type vibe, no? However, it mostly sells religious books and fair-trade muesli (!), so I guess God probably doesn't mind. Lots of tombstones in the walls etc etc, par for the course when it comes to cathedrals. Also a funny story about the Battle of Bangor, with the Bishop going to war with the Assistant Registrar, which has to be seen to be believed. Better come see!

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Having now some experience of Cathedral life, I can easily belive that your's has a shop (even ours did until it went bankrupt) and that the Bishop went to war with the assistant registrar. Remember- Cathedral folk are just like everyone else, but even more set in thier traditions!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home