Saturday, September 29, 2007

Welcome to Lister.

So I'm all settled in Lister Centre, the premier residence for U of A first-year students. I actually moved in on September 1 - Mom and Dad brought my stuff down, since we had to move Anne anyway.
Move in went smoothly, considering there were about 1000 other first-years moving into the Lister compound with me. I was reminded of something Will told me once: "Get used to lines at university." And it's true. Lines to pay fees, to get food, to get into class, to pay for textbooks. But I was ready for it.
Once inside the Lister gym, I had my picture taken for the ID/meal card, and I was informed my new home would be on the third floor of one of Lister's four towers: Henday. So after checking out the room, we moved my stuff. I also met my roommate, Carlos, who came in at almost the same time.
The best part of the whole experience was at the end of the check-in process, when I was issued my keys and handbook by a sketchy-looking individual who said solemnly, "Welcome to Lister." I was reminded very much of a scene from the Shawshank Redemption..."Welcome to Shawshank."
The following Monday and Tuesday I went to orientation, which was pretty helpful in introducing all the facilities and services on campus. It was also a good opportunity to scout out the locations of my classes.
Classes are going okay. I have German, English, Religious Studies, Statistics, and Math (Calculus) this semester. My instructors are all pretty good, and seem helpful. I'm also taking an extra math help class to get me through the year.
Turns out the difference between high school and university is that you spend less time in class, but still have a considerable workload. So you are expected to do a good deal of work and mastering concepts and the like outside of class.
I get along well with Carlos and everybody on my floor, no problems. I go out with some friends from Rocky that are also going to school here every once in a while too.
And that's the story from 334, Henday Hall.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear you settled in ok. One of these days I'll take you to supper off campus. Email me your email address and phone number.
Betty Anne

7:43 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I can't believe such a long post from a man of so few words.

8:35 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Sam, I am happy you are well and happy in university. I wanted to cry after my 1st day back in school. you are probably better adjusted than me.

9:57 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Hey Sam,
Really good to hear that everything is going so well for you. You are so methodical, checking everything out - smart move!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Glad to hear it all is working out (and my advice came in handy).

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home