Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Greetings From Woonsocket

A nice thing about travelling back to a place you have already been, is that you know how to go where you need to be, and it is always great to catch up with people, and they are generally happy to see a familiar face too.

The trip out was a bit a gong show. I caught the 6:30 am flight to TO, which meant leaving the the house at 5:00 am. Flight was pretty uneventful, I was supposed to have a 4 hour layover in TO, so decided to eat lunch, in the nice part of terminal 1. From experience, I know there is not much in terms eating establishments once you get through US customs, and besides I had lots of time. So I had a leisurely lunch, then headed over to pick up my bag from the transfer belt, and go through customs. Even with going through lots of time, I still get nervous about it. Finished with that, went through security again (I have going through American security, and having to take off my shoes, I always make sure I have socks on so I don't have bare feet), did a little shopping at the duty free, looked on the board to see what gate my flight was leaving from. And it shows cancelled. Arghh. Over to the Cust Service desk, it seems the pilot got sick, and they had no one to back up for him.

Air Canada offered to send me to Boston, but I decided to wait until the next day and take the first flight out. So AC paid for the hotel, with a couple of meal vouchers. Had to go through customs again, this time it was Canadian. Next morning on the shuttle at 6:00 am, tried to use self service to check in, that did not work, so into a long line to get checked in by a person. Back through customs, pick up Duty Free that I had to leave, because I did not leave the country, then breakfast with a voucher. They would not take the voucher at the food court because it was date the day before. Back to customer service, agree with the person there that the Food Court was wrong, but nevertheless, I need a new voucher, and get one and have breakfast. I head over to the midfield terminal, the flight is half an hour late leaving because the pilots are held up in customs.

The flight itself was good, clear so a good view most of the way here. I don't think I have seen how pretty the countryside looks from the air, except for the very first time I was here, the other times it was dark, or clouded over. some of the trees have started turning, but most are still green. Weather is warm around 25 or so. Not sure how long that will last. And that pretty much is all the news.

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I can't imagine going through all that. I would be a basket case. Yet you calmly sail on through.

5:50 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

It is exhausting to think of it. Maintaining composure while travelling can be very difficult.

6:54 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

What a trip - don't inefficencies (on other peoples part) drive you mad? guess not or you wouldn't sound so calm. How long will you be away at that strangely named place?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

It helps that I had a couple of days between the event and posting the story. I am coming home on the 4th, then going to Rocky on the 5th for Thanksgiving. I think Sam is coming with me, Very hot to day 31 celcius, but the next few days will be cooler.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home