Thursday, May 17, 2007

I's the by

Here we are in Nfld! It is pretty interesting to be in a part of Canada, yet feel like it is totally different from any other area of the country. It actually feels like being in a different country, with some strangely familiar things. Like signs etc. And I feel very different with my accent. As soon as I speak, I feel like a big sign lights up above my head saying "I'm from away"

It is cold with the wind, but with my windbreaker, I'm actually quite fine. (and a sweater underneath). And when the sun comes out, it feels nice and warm.

our flight here went well, though long. Allison picked us up from the airport at 1100 pm. I managed to sleep 3 hours on the plane which decreased the boredom factor of traveling. The next day we went for breakfast, poked around a little bit and then Allison left for her flight to Ottawa and returns tonight. Mom and walked around St. John's, looking in stores and bought some stuff. I got a spectacular toque with ear flaps and a puffin on the front of it! Lots and lots of knitted stuff. Beautiful sweaters. one store is called NONIA, and was started in the beginning of the century as a non-profit to make money to provide nursing services to outport communities. Our hotel has a great view of the harbour, though our particular room does not! This means a steep climb back to our abode, luckily mom is in good shape.

Mom and i plan to do a walking tour of St. John's today and also go to The Rooms.
Allison has the car at the airport as they wouldn't let another driver without charging like $30/day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Glad to hear that you made it, and that the weather was not too bad. Thought you Kelownan's, might be freezing cold after leaving the sunny south for the Rock. Keep posting so we can live vicariously through you.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home