Thursday, May 24, 2007

All done

Mom and I are back home after a long flight and day travelling. I am sure glad we went, Nfld was well worth seeing and now Richard and I can go back and see the rest of the Atlantic provinces and Perhaps Nfld again.
We went to Trinity, which may be one of the most picturesque places I have seen. And so very, very, cold. we ate corn and fish chowder at an inn there that happened to be open, the season doesn't start until June, and given the weather, we could see why. The wind was blowing like crazy and damp cold is really chilly. We then went to Cape Bonavista. Which was windier and colder! But a beautiful town. we drove back to St. John's along the coast, and the waves were crashing along the beaches and on the rocks like crazy. It was spectacular. I really don't know how the people who went there as fishers managed to stick it out. As the saying goes, it is a beautiful, terrible place. I would really like to go back and see some more of it.
Our flight back went fine. The plane from St. John's had a lot of men going back to Alberta to work. My seatmate from St. John's to Toronto was going to Ft McMurray after his 8 days off to work for another 20. He and his family lived in a little place, that we passed through or close to on our way back from Cape Bonavista. I said it must be difficult doing this, and he said his buddy was 230 miles out on the Atlantic ocean right now fishing crab and he decided to do this to make a living instead. I felt sad looking at all these men going off to work in another province when at least in this man's situation, his heart was totally in Nfld. as we landed in Toronto, he was shaking his head, looking at all the haze/smog, saying, 'You'd never see this in Newfoundland'
So, I feel very fortunate to have seen a totally different part of Canada. I would suggest that if any of you have the opportunity go! It is a very different experience, and is beautiful and charming without any contriving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home