Sunday, October 01, 2006

Woonsocket

Woonsocket

Is the name of a city in Rhode Island (which is not an island at all), and where I spent last week. It was kind of a last minute trip, found out on Wednesday that I was leaving on Sunday. The flights there were OK, from Edmonton to Toronto, on a big Airbus, 320, then from Toronto to providence was a little Beechcraft, 18 passengers, two crew, the pilot and first officer. So the first officer doubled as the flight attendant. This plane had a bathroom, at the back, two seats in each row, so I had a window and an aisle seat. But I was seated over the hump, and so had no room under the seat in front of me to put my stuff. The First Officer /Flight attendant was very nice and stored it up at the front of the plane, with the crew stuff.

Once I landed I collected my stuff, found the car rental place, hopped into my RAV4 and was on the road to Woonsocket. On the map it looked very straight forward, a couple of different hiways and I should be there in half an hour or so. An hour later I am still looking for Woonsocket, it is starting to rain like crazy, and I am wondering if I will have to sleep in my vehicle. In my defense, I followed all the road signs, pointing to Woonsocket, I just could not seem to find the Holiday Inn. I decided I would do one more turn, and then drive for 5 minutes, and if I could not find it, try and find a phone, and call the hotel. I guess that was all I needed, because two minutes later, I found my hotel, and I was so relieved.

In the daylight Woonsocket seems like a pretty city, lots of old houses, it is inland so no ocean views. I asked at the front desk how to find the office, and the lady gave me the following directions, turn left as I leave the hotel, drive for awhile, go through some lights, and then she was not sure how many, then turn left, and I should be where I want to go. Great I thought, this should be easy, but it wasn’t. I had the address of building, and I turned on Social street, looking for the right number, only to find, they don’t rely show the numbers, at least not where I could see them. So it took circling around anumber of times, before I decided to go into a parking lot, to see if I could see numbers if I walked a bit, and found the office, not that it had a number on it, but at least the company logo was on it.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful, worked long hours, so did not see much other than the hotel, and office. When I go back in a couple of weeks, hopefully will see more, because I plan on staying over a weekend.

Tomorrow, I am off to Montreal for a few days, will miss Mom in Edmonton. And will be leaving there before Mom and Anne get there so won’t connect there either. Oh well everything does not always work out.

2 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

Hey Jude-
I just sent a comment, but it didn't post-don't know what I'm doing as sometimes it posts twice and others not at all, so if you get 2 don't know why. You had a very adventurous trip to RI - why do the good things always happen to you? Hear that it is a beautiful state in spite of the place names, so hope you get to see some of it soon. Sorry we.ll miss you in both cities, but such is life. I' m all ready to roll and am eager for the trip to begin
Have a good trip to Montreal.

Love from mom

2:06 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I thought RI was an island?
Someone wasn't thinking when they made up names for states.

Although Woonsocket is a fantastic name!

Maybe you can find me something with Woonsocket on it.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home