Monday, October 23, 2006

Weekend in Rhode Island

It was very nice to spend the weekend in Rhode Island, the weather was pretty good, lots of sun, a little windy on Saturday, but Sunday was perfect.

I had planned to spend the day in Newport on Saturday, but that did not work out so well. I got a map, from the Shop and Save, but I have found the roads here are not marked that well. In the end I went to Pawtucket, and had lunch at Kips. If you follow the link you can see that it was won many wiener awards since 1999. They take only cash, no debit or credit cards. I did not go with the house special but ended up with a hot beef sandwich. The waitresses all called the people Hon, like in a movie.

After leaving Pawtucket, I went to Providence and took a long walk around there. There is a historic site, with a building which is supposed to represent what the house of the man who founded Rhode Island lived, his name was Roger Williams, and they created a small Kitchen Gardenas it would have been when he lived there.

A little further up the street is the First Baptist Church which is still used and has an active congregation. And across the street from the church was this very cool looking building
Providence Street. As I was wandering around near the Brown University Campus, I found a church that was holding an Antique and Artisan sale, so I stopped by and did a little shopping. They had some beautiful jewellery, and some great looking vintage things. I was a little tired after walking around so much so I stopped at the Cable Car Cinema and Café, to have a snack and read my book.

Sunday morning, I got up and drove to Newport. I drove through several different towns, which had the kinds of houses that’s you see in the movies, when people live in New England. I also saw 4 different Roadside diners, which looked very cool. To get to Newport you can either take a Ferry from Providence, or drive the whole way going over two different bridges, the last one is two miles long, and is over part of Narragansett Bay. It was sucha beautiful day I decided to just walk around Newport, with a quick stop to visit the Museum there. I was surprised to learn that Newport, was originally settled as an agricultural community, the sailing came later. It was also one of the first places in the US to support abolishment of slavery. I saw lots of differenthouses, and ended up at a graveyard. I really like this gravestone.

The scenery around RI, reminds me a lot of Nova Scotia. Saturday was very windy, so a lot of the leaves have fallen, but there is still colour around.

It is back to work today, and I am looking forward to coming home on Thursday, and hoping my luggage will not get lost. For those of you who were wondering, I only bought two new pairs of shoes, before my luggage was returned to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Did you buy anything besides shoes?

7:59 PM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

Two pairs--your luggage must have only been lost for 10 minutes or so.
Sounds like a neat place we see so much of New England in movies, it must be strange to be working in the area.

10:09 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Nice pictures.

It looks very picturesque. I never think of Rhode Island being New England.

How long were you there for?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Yes, I did have to buy some work clothes too. When I travelled on Sunday, since I was going to apply for my work visa I thought I better not wear jeans, so I had a skirt on, but I thought the people at the Client site would not like to see me wearing the same things 3 days in a row.

I am the same way, I never thought Rhode Island was New England either. Maybe because it is so small I forget about it. I am still in Rhode Island, because that is where Woonsocket is.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Do people actually live in those houses? The whole place looks like a historic site.

6:04 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Aah. Isn't Rhode Island, not really an island? I thought I heard that somewhere.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home