Wednesday, September 07, 2016

An Eventful Summer

I have had a pretty eventful summer!  All in good ways, which is nice, since eventful isn't always the same as good.  I got a job in Nova Scotia, Allie and I got engaged, and as long as Scotiabank continues to cooperate, I think I bought a house.  I'm a little leery of being too sure on that last one until I have the keys though. 

I'm going to be working at the parish of Christ Church, in Amherst.  Amherst is right on the Nova Scotia/New Brunswick border, and is a small town of about 10 000.  Well, it calls itself a small town, after Tofino, I call it the big city!  It's a little like Rocky in that it's the center for the even smaller towns around - it's got the Walmart and the hospital.  It's about two hours from Halifax, but only half an hour from Moncton. 

The church there seems to be really interesting.  Their clergy stay for a long time - they've had three priests since 1975, and one of those served for six months.  The congregation is quite a bit bigger than the one in Tofino, but still isn't huge in the overall scheme of things.  Anyway, it looks like an interesting place to minister, and the folks there certainly are nice. 

While all this was going on, Allie and her mom came to visit.  They had a couple days in Tofino, then we drove to the Anglican retreat center in Sorrento, where we all took classes for a week.  My class was taught by a friend of Allie's and was on Science and Theology.  It was great, and the best part about Sorrento courses is that they're only in the morning, so you have all afternoon to sit around or go swimming in the Shuswap. After the course, we drove to Kelowna for a couple days.  Mom and Dad came out, and Allie and her mom Judi got to meet Grandma and Lisa and Richard.

While we were all in Tofino at the start of the visit Allie and I got engaged on the beach, at sunset.  Tofino has a way of making amazing settings easy to arrange!  We managed to time it just right, so that we got to see lots of friends and family as we travelled around BC and tell them in person about the engagement.

We're still in plan making mode, but the wedding will be in Nova Scotia next April or May.  It'll be after Easter (which is April 17) but we're not sure of the exact date.  We have a priest, a church and a place to stay picked out, and whatever day works for all three of them will be the big day.  More details will come as we figure them out!

My last Sunday in Tofino is October 16, and I start in Amherst November 1.  That felt like a lot of time when I set it, but now feels like not enough.  I think I'm going to fly out, and either ship the car or sell it and buy another one.  I want to stop in Kelowna and Rocky on the way, and still get to Amherst with enough time to settle in before work starts.  This might be wishful thinking, but I'm going to try.  

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

That is a busy summer. We stayed in Parrsboro which is just outside Amhearst. Very pretty part of the country.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home