Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Tofino Summer

Well, I guess it's not technically summer, but it's starting to feel like it.  The weather has been hot and dry for the last week or so - foggy before that, which was less fun.  However, there's a pretty serious water shortage forecast for Vancouver Island generally, and Tofino in particular.  It was a dry winter without much snow on the mountains, and even in wet years water can be an issue here in summer - all those resorts just suck all the water up!

Allie is here for the summer, working at a whale watching place.  The best part about that is that we can both go whale watching and bear watching and to hot springs for free whenever we want.  Usually locals can go for free, but only one or two per trip as standby.  We get bumped to the top of the standby list, which is great.

On Saturday we we decided to go and watch the sunset.  So we walked down to the government dock, and it was full of tourists.  I was kind of annoyed - I mean, there's a sunset every night, so why were the crowding in on the one I wanted to watch?  Anyway, we found a spot, and I noticed that they were all taking pictures in the wrong direction - not of the sunset at all!  That seemed dumb, even for tourists, so I looked where they were looking - and there were three Orcas swimming around!  We watched them from the dock for about fifteen minutes, and they jumped out of the water a lot.  I've never seen Orcas so close - probably within a hundred yards.  It was pretty amazing.

I also see a lot of eagles from my house - the owner at the sushi place throws out fish heads for them, so they're always around.  Not a great practice, but I do love watching them swoop and dive.  The same owner introduced himself to Allie: "Hi, I'm Crazy Ron.  Sanest guy in town".

I went down to Victoria on Monday this week to see Jeff convocate from his Masters in Education.  At his convocation, Shelagh Rogers from the CBC was installed as the new Chancellor of the University.  That made the ceremony a little more interesting than an average convocation.  I also had really good seats - front row of the balcony - so could see everything clearly.

Today is the 90th anniversary of the United Church of Canada - churches across the country are ringing their bells to celebrate.  We're doing it from 2:30-4:30, which is later than the suggested time, but I figure the United Church is all about ignoring the rules if they don't work.  This way kids can come when they're out of school.  I hope the neighbours don't get too annoyed at us!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Can we go whale watching while I'm there?

9:58 PM  
Blogger Allie Colp said...

Of course!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Um. That was Will. Allie didn't log out of google on my computer. But we can go whale watching while you're here.

8:11 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Go to hotsprings too! we saw whales en route.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home