Monday, December 08, 2014

Advent is Here!

I've realized that sometimes I compose these really great blog posts in my head, but forget to actually post.  So I thought, even though I don't have a really great post pre-composed, that I would post today.  Things are going well.  I'm still really enjoying life in Tofino, and now that I've been here for over a year, I'm really getting to know people, and am doing better at participating at town events.

I was able to take a study week in November, which was awesome!  Apparently we're entitled to one a year- not something I had taken advantage of before.  But I wanted to go Halifax and visit Allie, and I had no holidays left, so I worked out a topic, put together a reading list, and talked to the Bishop (and Whitey the People's Warden.  Not in that order).

Halifax was great.  It's a super fun city, and of course it was great to spend a week with Allie.  We went to see a showing of Billy Bishop Goes To War, and to see Chris Hadfield speak, as well as touring around the province a little.  It's quite a different coast than the BC coast.

Before I left for Halifax was Remembrance Day.  We alternate each year - one year in Tofino and the next in Ucluelet.  This year was our turn in Tofino, which meant that as minster of the church and Padre at the Legion I had to organize the church service and be at the cenotaph.  The weather was amazing - clear and sunny, if a little cold - which was nice, since there is also a parade that seems like it could be miserable in the rain.

Now we're settled in to winter on the coast - there are big storms forcast for this week, and even going on right now.  Apparently we're supposed to get 200 milliliters of rain by tomorrow morning, and it's been super windy all day.  I went out to the beach and very shortly discovered the limits to my raingear - what works for walking to the post office doesn't necessary stand up to blowing rain and wind and high tides.

All the Tofino Christmas events have been happening, which is getting a little expensive.  This weekend was Jingle Into Christmas, when a bunch of the stores stay open late and have great sales.  The first place I went into I knew the owner, and he was there, so I ended up buying stuff.  The problem was he owned three stores and I kept seeing him!  It's all good stuff, and he's great about extra discounts.  Then it was the Catholic bazaar- they had a live auction which I got a little caught up in.  Then yesterday was the town Christmas Craft Fair, and I knew a bunch of the vendors...maybe I just need to find a non-monetary way of showing my appreciation for people.

It looks like Christmas will be quiet again this year. Jeff and Kirsten and some friends will come up after Christmas, for New Years, and Allie is coming to visit for a couple weeks in January, which will be nice!

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

Hope the flooding isnt too bad for you William

4:38 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I feel sad if someone at a craft fair isn't selling much.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home