Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chicago!

I finally made it here. I had called about the connection in LA, as 1 hour did not seem enough time to catch my plane. Despite United's assurances that an hour was enough, no it is not. I ran through everything (and just so you know, it is a big airport, with many slow people in it) and got to the gate 2 minutes before the plan was leaving, which was not enough. I have done my exercise for the day. FYI, I have been keeping up on exercise-please feel free to keep me accountable, as I mentioned earlier.

However, I got booked onto next flight which was only an hour later. Well, supposed to be an hour later, ended up being 45 minutes late.

I slept on plane and was beside quiet young guys through, so all went well. Trip from Kelowna to LA was beside an entrepreneur, who used to manage Safeway, but now does stuff with those bar code scanner thingies you use with phones.

There are many different jobs out there.

We talked for a while, then I did some reading, he did some work, when he finished his work, I could tell he wanted to chat more-he tried initiating conversation a couple times. I would have none of it. Entrepreneur=extrovert, nurse=introvert.

I found out that I can't do doctorate-my thesis chair went all the way up and down to make it work, but university said that since I was in 3rd year and cut off is 2 years-no dice. I am quite fine with it, I knew that it could go either way, and that things work out the way they are supposed to. I now have a bunch of reading to do for this course, but it all looks interesting-qualitative research, feminist research methods, and post-modernism stuff-all things I like reading about.

Work had been busy before I left, and I was busy too.

Laura and Wilf were in town for a little visit before they went on their way to the island. It was nice to see them, though I felt like I didn't get to see them enough as I had to do stuff after work, and then was tired and needed to go home and go to bed. I know Laura understands this though-being tired at 830 for her life. Now I am too! Once again I ask, why do nurses need to start at 0700?

I am looking forward to seeing Chicago, Allison gets in tomorrow evening, so maybe I will have dinner with other exam reviewers? Ack-making lots of conversation. However, since they are nurses they are more likely to be introverted, though that can be problematic if they do not make conversation easily. I think they are from all over Canada-we could talk about the weather and our distaste for being mistaken for Americans?

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

How are feminist research methods different than anyone else's?

8:25 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I like putting in earphones they do not have to be attached to anything but it discourages talking from strangers.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

It's disappointing about the PhD. but the most important thing to me is that your supervisors think that you and your project are capable of doing it!

7:41 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

The feminist research methods are not necessarily any different, but the approach can be different-looking at the power imbalances between the researcher and people being studied etc. Does not have to necessarily deal with women, but useful when working with marginalized groups such as mental health.
Ear phones are a good idea!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

United was the airline mom and I used when we went to Santa barbara and had to run through lax, seeing a trend!!!!!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home