Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gee but it's great to be back home

Home is where I want to be, yeah (with thanks to Simon and Garfunkel)

The time in Kelowna flew by, it was hard to believe that I was there almost 3 months.  Mom is getting better, more good days than bad, but still it was kind of a shock at how quickly the osteoarthrithritis came on.  I did most of my assigned chores but still left some for Allison to complete when she is there next week.

Coming home was uneventful.  I must have had Lady Luck on my side on Thursday, first Richard did not start work until 1:30 so he took me out to the airport and waved goodbye.  Then once I got to Edmonton, luggage was there in only 10 minutes and when I walked out the door the 747 bus was waiting, so I caught that and the train and was home in only an hour after my flight landed and for only 8 bucks.

On Sunday we went out to Fintry on the west side of the lake.  It was an Edwardian Fair, so there were craft and information booths.  Fintry also has a house built by an Englishman who came to settle there.  We had a nice tour guide and learned lots about the owner and the times he lived in.  Afterwards we had a picnic by the lake, and were swarmed by mosquitoes.  It really made me appreciate the lack of mosquitoes in Kelowna.

The last couple of weeks I went to the beach quite a bit.  I found one of the accesses off of Abbot and Burne to be the best.  Most of the time there was hardly anyone there, it has a great big tree so shade was available all day long and a few times I was the only one on the beach, so relaxing.

I also did a ton of reading thank goodness for ipad and the Edmonton Public Library, I was able to check out books without leaving Mom's backyard.  Mom's garden is really producing, we had broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, radishes.

Think I will go to the Farmers Market today, and see what kinds of fresh stuff I can pick up there.

I stopped by the store yesterday and saw Kay.  I am going to start work there on Monday, then Tuesday  off to Rosebud to see Anne of Green Gables, back home on Wednesday, then work on Thursday and Friday.  A very busy week.


5 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

We were sorry to see Jude go-Richard said having a visit like that is great, because you don't feel rushed and just get to enjoy being around the person.
I talked to Mom the day after Jude left and she said, 'I miss her already'

12:05 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

yes I miss you Jude/but am determined to cope on my own - it was so great to have all your help w/painting/ gardening/cleanup and then when I got sick - everything! all in all it was a great visit - and not a single disagreementor fight. went to the doc yesterday - managed the bus both ways - she upped my med and I feel so much better today that I mnaged to do some housework - close to normal. the results of the scan were bacjk - good news- no cancer - bad news -a mild case of copd-having a lung capacity test soon to see if any treatmentis needed - I don<t think so but what do I know? ad a good rain yesterday - much needed and very welcome.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Oh Mom, one thing after another. Hope all is well with your lungs.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Aw, that is so nice, I have to say it sure is great having everyone I know in Kelowna on the same street, makes visiting with you very easy.
I am glad to hear that you are feeling even better than when I left, Mom.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Pressed post too quick, I also miss all of you.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home