Sunday, July 01, 2012

Long weekend

We are waiting for weather to pick up and then go downtown.
Honestly, the weather has been wacky this year-yesterday was warm all day, but we would have thunderstorms and big downpours throughout the day. I cannot remember another year with this much rain. It is supposed to get nicer this week allegedly.
I have little faith in the forecast.
Jude and I went to farmers market yesterday. Got some fantastic strawberries, peas, these steamed buns (from vegetarian Chinese food place), and bath salts.
We went for lunch after, then I did laundry and hung it out, hoping that the warmness and periods of not raining would give enough time for the stuff to dry. Not really, it is still hanging out there.
Matthew, Richard's brother Bill's youngest son, came to visit. We had a lovely time with him. Went to the trestles for a bike ride, out for supper, Knox Mtn, Bear Creek park, supper with Mom and Jude. He is such a nice man. Planning on going into social work or counselling.
Our laptop wouldn't charge, it is the input ac charger. Will cost about a $100. Jude has kindly given us her laptop to use.
Work seems to be settling down. I think people are getting used to being in new unit. I certainly am. I like it a lot.
We haven't decided when to go to Ontario for a visit, either in August or October. I am leaning towards October, but feel Richard should decide as is his side of family. The only downside is that October is a long ways away for a vacation. I will take some days off in the meantime.
Did I mention I went to a psychopathy presentation? It was excellent!
They have seen signs of it in people as young as 3. But if you think someone (as in your social, work circle) may be a psychopath, it usually takes about 6 months to really figure out if they are or not. That person I used to work with qualified I am quite sure.
People who work in law enforcement, mental health etc-may have higher rates, though in general population is about 1-2%.
Can't be cured, but there is some evidence that it can be treated, basically by pointing out where acting in certain ways would not benefit the psychopath. Empathy training does not work.
Superficially charming, but no real deep emotions.
We have birds nesting on our deck. Chirp.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Your unusual weather sounds like our usual weather. We have left laundry out for days waiting for it to dry.
Very interesting about psychopaths. I can think of a couple of possible ones. Are they born or made?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Nature or nurture, that's all parents ever want to know.

It's actually hard for me to understand that empathy training doesn't work. I'm not an intense feeler of emotions (although I am NOT a psychopath) but I tend to think that people who don't feel emotions much have been in situations that make them prioritize themselves first, and so don't trust enough to feel empathy? Obviously I fall on the nurture opinion side.

7:58 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

It is of course, both nature and nurture.
If you had been raised in a family where you did not get enough validation and attention, perhaps you might have been a psychopath Allison.
Or maybe you don't have enough of those personality traits to make it happen anyway. I suspect you do.
Actually, I suspect I might've-I recall being 13, and really not caring what others thought-it wasn't for a long period of time, but what if I had really gone off the rails?
It is interesting to think about.
In a creepy way.
People who come from nice backgrounds can end up as psychopaths, and people who come from awful backgrounds do not necessarily develop it.
They think there are some brain differences-perhaps Anne would know this piece?

I am not supposed to share the powerpoint, but I will send to those who might be interested if you promise not to distribute.
The powerpoint is also v.g. +

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home