Monday, January 30, 2012

Home sick

I caught a cold this weekend, and am home sick today. It is composed of aching, headache, cough, tiredness. And strangely, hunger. I eat breakfast and then by 1000 am hungry again. Maybe because I have also been waking up ridiculously early?

Mom is looking forward to her trip! February is a good month for her-house sold, trip. Hurrah for Mom. I also note that she is sleeping much better since selling. When I am up at the crack of dawn-her lights are still off.

I am reading the Hunger Games trilogy right now-good. Also, some other books I have read lately which are great are: The Tiger by John Vaillant. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese, and The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence has Declined by Steven Pinker. All are well worth your time.

I thought of sending the book on violence to the Conservative party and Stephen Harper.

I have also sent an email to BCNU telling them that I don't agree with what they are asking for in the upcoming contract talks, and that our contract is fair. I'm sure that will be popular with the union. For someone who was pro-union, I have now changed my tune. No gloating please.


7 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I'm pro-union. Some of the members are duds. As if that would be different if I worked a 70 hour week in a factory.

4:03 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Kindly, last sentence does not make sense to me. Please to explain.

4:51 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I think whenever any group starts using power to meet own needs without enough accountability-trouble. Whether union, management etc. I guess the union provides a counter balance, but really when I look at out list of shop stewards-the ones that I know are bullies and have shitty communication, using the union to push their own needs.
Plus, due process seems overdone. Really, you have to screw up in exactly the same way within a year to be fired? Couldn't multiple screw-ups merit firing?
I would rather that there was a collaborative process, without the animosity that is present.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

and I recommend The 19th Wife by David Ebersoff, it is about Mormons and how they started and how polygamy in the church started.

7:05 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I am going to request it! Hey I forgot to call you and wish you happy santa barbara!!! Have an excellente time.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I meant that there would be duds in the union even at times if I worked in a place where I really needed a union (i.e., working 70 hours week in factory).

7:12 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Si, that makes sense.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home