Sunday, March 08, 2009

As if we are even springing forward

Judith invited Grace, Stan, Bob, and me over for dinner tonight -- we had tasty slow-cooked chicken and rice, I made salad, and Grace made sticky toffee pudding. yum. It was a good visit. Stan and Bob told lots of stories about Grandma and Grandpa, and we talked about Bill and Mom...nothing scandalous, Mom.... Well, actually maybe there is something scandalous! Apparently you used to HITCHHIKE from Calgary to Edmonton to see your family on the weekends!? Did you?

Stan also told the story of when Margaret left home to live at the institution -- he said it was the only time he had ever seen Grandpa cry. Sniff.

Stan looks great. He said he had gained 20 pounds since he was in the hospital. And that he had stopped chemo for 5 weeks while he waited for the blisters on his feet to go away, and the doctor was pleased to see that the cancer hadn't grown during that time. So he he seems to be in good shape and good spirits.

It was a nice time, and Bob said he'd invite us over just as soon as he cleaned off his dining room table. He promised an apple pie. And he's looking for Grandma's fudge recipe -- he said Mom doesn't have it. Does anyone else?

I hate spring forward. I also feel that I somehow lost many hours, not just one. I did reorganize my storage closet and cleaned my house this weekend, though.

I'm reading Wolf Willow by Wallace Stegner -- what a good book. I want to go to Cypress Hills now. If the snow ever melts.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Judith is so hospitable.

8:41 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

That is a lie - I never hitchhiked from Calgary! I only remember one hitchhide - Thelma & I were 20 and 17 I think and we hh'd to the lake to get a tan 0 had a scary ride and got sunburns, that was it for me.
Jude is indeed hospitable

8:00 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Why was the ride scary, Mom?

How did you get home from Calgary, then?

8:15 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

The ride was scary because it was with a young thug who had no floor in his heap and roarded along at top speed with smoke pouring out behind.
I got to Edm from Cal by rides (from friends), train or bus. That Stan remembers things that never happened just to keep his story portfolio interesting!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

It was a nice visit, both Bob and Stan are very easy to talk to. And Grace and Allison did outstanding jobs on their contributions to the menu. I am glad you clarified what was a lie, Mom, I was thinking you did NOT think I was hospitable.

11:37 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Tsk, tsk Jude - how could anyone who has enjoyed your hospitality so often even think that?

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home