Friday, February 15, 2008

Wow, we are almost at 350 posts on this blog! Talkative bunch, you are.

So, I have a wee bit of news. I've been busy busy busy for the last little while and have been very overwhelmed. But one of the things I was working on was a PhD application for the University of Guelph. My supervisor has a former postdoc who is working there who she says is really good and she wanted me to apply to go work with him. However, I was almost two months late for their application deadline and haven't written the GRE (a required test), so I didn't think there was much hope. But my supervisor gave me a good reference and it turned out that they were willing to waive some requirements on the basis of that. Sent everything off at the beginning of the week.

So... I got an unofficial email today telling me they've accepted me onto the program! Basically, if I go there, my PhD will be fully funded and I'll get paid to do it. (Peanuts, but never mind). However, I still want to apply for Bangor and see if I can get funding for here, since I really like it here - so some tough decisions to be made depending on the timing.

Oh yes, and it's been nothing but sunny and gorgeous here for the last two weeks - and the crocuses and daffodils are up! So mom, you can stop worrying about "rainy Bangor".

One last piece of news: I've been chosen to be on the Varsity fencing team despite being rubbish, and we have a Varsity match with Aberystywyth next weekend where I'll be fencing for the uni. Yikes! I'll let you know how it goes.

11 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Wow. That's great news. How long is a PhD? Will we have to call you Dr. Ferrey? (My daughter, the doctor.)
Well, Geoff reached the magic age of 55. Turns out be a lot like 54. He went off to work today as usual. I asked him if he has his computer counting in the negative numbers now.
We had a good bday celebration, with pork tenderloin and carrot cake. Tim came over and he and Grace traded Europe travelling stories.
Sam is coming home today for reading week so it will be good to see him again. He's also bring more birthday presents.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I knew it! I knew you'd have pork tenderloin and carrot cake! I tried to get myself some carrot cake yesterday but it didn't work out.

Congrats Annie! That's really awesome news. Do you get a university jacket or something if you're on the team?

5:38 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I didn't want to mention the meal while we were on the phone, Will. You were having enough trouble dealing with all the changes. To talk about what you were missing would have been cruel.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I get a hoodie with the fencing club logo and my fencing nickname ("Canadianne"). It's not free, though, sadly.

And yes, of course I would make you all call me Doctor if I got my PhD! Otherwise what's the point??

don't suppose someone could make carrot cake while visiting Wales in March, maybe....??

2:47 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Boy Anne that is a ton of news all in one little post. Congratulations, that is fabulous news on all fronts.
Theresa what were the changes that Will has having a hard time dealing with? Arr you doing more things around the house, or is it related to the movement of TVs and wall units?

9:23 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Congratulations Anne, or as it should be, Dr. Ferrey, I.P. (In Progress)
Good for you!
What would you be working on?
Guelph really is a beautiful city, and we could visit you more often there.
Plus, you could visit Richard's family on weekends.

11:05 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

What exciting news Anne = Bangor will probably want you too - you are just so popular, almost doctor! We are all so proud of you

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Anne! Great news & the possibility of chosing between 2 places! Good luck in your tournament.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

The fencing name is quite clever.

8:02 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I also vote for carrot cake in Wales. But wait...who will make it? I know! Theresa seems to have a recipe that is popular.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

If I did go to Guelph, they are doing some cool stuff to do with the neural correlates of depression. This is way too much information, but here's what my potential supervisor said about it:

"In addition to the effects of attention on emotion, we are also focused on better understanding the impact of affect/emotion on attention/cognition. The latest venture in this regard is an fMRI study of the altered scope of attention and cognitive-associative processing in individuals with Major Depressive Disorder, and how these behavioural changes relate to changes in brain structure (e.g., cortical thickness, subcortical volume) and functional activation. An overarching goal of this project is to assess whether specific cognitive or emotion-related interventions, based on our understanding of the reciprocal relations between attention, mood, and emotional response, can help to address depression-related impairments in the prioritization of thoughts and actions. A separate, but related, project is exploring varieties of emotional regulation and the role that attention plays in the cognitive control of emotion, pain, etc."

All perfectly clear?

Sounds cool, though, eh? And also useful. I don't really want to move to Ontario, but projects like that are impressive.

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home