Thursday, February 21, 2008

Woonsocket, woonsocket

I forgot about that one.
I am tired after my 1st day back on unit-12 hour shifts. the 1st couple hours I thought, ug, too early, I'm tired, plus kind of nervous after not being there for 4 months. Plus, there was a general feeling of unorganization, which I dislike. Also some people who are general slackers at work.
However, by 11 am, I felt much better. And as I was walking down the hall after talking with a patient, I was smiling and thought, this is why I like working here.
Richard and I both bought new jackets from Far West. Gore Tex and 70% off. V. G. +.
There were 5 postings for jobs at work, so I applied to all of them.
Doubtful I have enough seniority to get any of them. I have to say that I find it annoying that if applying for any DC1 job (which means entry level, with no supervisory duties etc, basically a floor nurse), it is based simply on seniority and not on job performance at all. It annoys me that someone who is not doing a very good job gets a position because they show up for shifts only.
And just to ward off potential "Lisa, see what unions do?' this doesn't mean I disapprove of unions in general, just that the previous manager should have been doing his job and documenting/getting rid of people who stunk. Plus, I do believe there should be an incentive to perform better at work. Though, also having worked many years at a non-union place, I don't think being outside a union means that you work harder anyway.
Sigh, I think the world may just have a certain number of people who do the minimum, or less, of work.
I'm going to go have a glass of wine, a bath, read Middlesex, and go to bed so that I can get up at 515 again tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

With the nursing shortage, how could the managers ger rid of people? At least there are bodies there, even if they are lazy. If hospitals are anything like Geoff's work, it takes months and piles of paperwork to fire someone. I agree, there should be an application process that includes looking job performance.
Have you started Middlesex? A great book.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I wonder if the way that unions function is more 'traditional' than not. Meaning that some of their methods that made sense in the factory / production / times past context have not changed to suit the present? Like the way that laws stay on the books forever, even if they don't make sense, until someone decides they need to change?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Having worked in Union and Non Union places, it is the same amount of work to get rid of someone in either place. docuementation, documentation, documentaton. And if you are doing that then there is not much time to do your other job. And you also have to show what you have done to help them. But, if Managers used the probationary period the way it should be used, they would have less trouble getting rid of people who are not doing their job.

11:06 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I concur!!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home