Sunday, February 26, 2017

Puerto Vallarta etc.

Lisa and I spent last week in PV, in all-inclusive. We agreed we'd like to do a 10-day stay sometime. The sun was hot, the food was good, and the guests were quite something. Many Loud North Americans with Sagging Tattoos. These were the people who tended to Drink All Night and look Very Puffy the next morning. Some groups of families, and maybe a wedding party? Lots of cute quite old people.

Lots of loungers on the beach, but apparently people woke up at 6:30 am to run down and "save" loungers for them and several friends. At the last place, there was a sign saying that any chair left unattended for 30 minutes could be taken by another guest. But we tried to take a couple of loungers that had been left for an hour, maybe two, and got into a small disagreement with a young woman, and then a stand-off with an old woman. The latter was wearing a head/neck covering and fingerless gloves on the beach, and Lisa suspected she had had "work" done. The staff member asked us afterwards why we gave in to the woman and let her have the seats back, and another old woman told us that the chair saver was being outrageous.

I didn't sleep super well for the first few days. But I did feel like I had a really solid break from work.

Favourite sighting: Trump pinata, being painted for smashing.

In other news, I am going to travel to Baltimore for a work conference. Roxane Gay is a speaker (who is quite outspoken about politics and feminism) and so it will be interesting to hear what she has to say about the Cheeto. She also pulled her book from Simon & Schuster, as they also offered a publishing deal to Milo Yiannopolous (sp?) one of those white supremacist Breitbart creeps. But his book is canceled now because he spoke about pedophilia in a positive way. ick.

Right before the wedding, going to Vancouver to do some training for a prison instructor program! This is very exciting to me. Seven days of training, two of them inside an institution with inmate facilitators. I'm doing this training with my friend Tracy, who is a prof at UA, and we are hoping to start a program at the university where classes take place at the prison. It's a program called Inside/Out (US based), and there's a Canadian version called Walls to Bridges. I think I will learn tons!

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I liked our two weeks in Mexico last year but I think 10 days would be better.
I thought maybe you were giving the training until the last sentence.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

My friend Liz suggested we propose a weekend workshop on prison librarianship to the library school here!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home