Thursday, February 16, 2017

Reacquainting Myself with Snow

All in all I lived on the West Coast for fifteen years, and although most winters (especially in Victoria and Vancouver) had a couple snow days, for the most part I lived a snow free life.  Snow was a lovely treat at Christmas, not a daily fact.  Oh, how the tables have turned.

Up until this week the snow hadn't been bad.  We'd had a few big dumps, but they were mostly one day things, and the weather tended to get warm, so there wasn't much accumulation.  But we're in the midst of our third storm in the last week, and the drifts are considerably taller than I am at this point!

The first storm last week wasn't bad - a bit of snow, a little wind.  The blizzard on Monday was something else though - huge winds, and a lot of snow.  My driveway had at least three feet across most of it.  When the snow finally stopped on Tuesday I started to shovel, but was saved part way though by a neighbour with a snow blower.  I can see why people have them here.

No sooner had we dug ourselves out from the blizzard then today's storm rolled in.  It's more snow and more wind, and the driveway is pretty deep already.

The infrastructure here around snow is really good.  My street is a side street, but we still see plows going down it regularly.  The town has small plows that do the sidewalks, which is a mercy since I have drifts and snow banks from the plows on my sidewalk that would be nearly impossible to clear by hand.  There's always lots of sand and salt on the roads too which is good.

We normally close the office for snow days - when schools are closed, we close too.  Today is the third snow day this week - and we had two last week as well.  I walked down to the church, since Sunday is coming no matter what the weather.  I'm not sure I feel like a Maritimer yet, but living through this snow makes it clear I don't live on the west coast!

1 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

Carry on digging WIll!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home