Saturday, November 26, 2016

Miami

Miami seems exotic to me, the landscape, the weather and especially the people. There is such a mixture of people and so many good-looking ones.
We are staying in a very nice apartment in the financial district. It has a pool and hot tub.
I was surprised at the transit here. Where we are staying and downtown there is a train system called Metromover which is free and gets you to lots of places plus to bus connections pretty quickly. Today we went to South Beach. We rented chairs and an umbrella and watched the ocean and beach-goers. The beach is really nice, wide with nice light sand. Walked around a bit after and looked at the Art Deco buildings in the area. I would come back to Miami.
The cruise already seems like a dream. It was good, but there were so many people all the time. I did find it relaxing to sit on a lounger in the solarium and knit and watch the ocean. There were lots of activities but we didn’t do any of them, just relaxed a lot. The weather was mostly nice, warmer than I thought it would be. There were two or three rough days but I liked the ship rocking.
It was fun to go to New York. I did not plan very well for the Florida part of the trip so we went to Macy’s to find a couple of t-shirts so I would have something to wear in the heat. Jude was sick on Saturday so did not go into the city with us. We went to the 9/11 memorial which took longer to go through than we thought so did not do much else. The memorial was sad, but I also thought about all the thousands of people killed in Syria and Iraq who don’t get a memorial.
Lots of Brits on the ship and a fair number of Americans. I overheard some gloating about the election but tried not to listen because it made me so mad. We chatted with a woman on the train today who said she is going back to Puerto Rico because of Trump.
Today we went to the Everglades for a boat tour. It was great. I just loved being out of the city for a while and I have never seen anything like the Everglades. We saw alligators, a big turtle, and two blue herons while we were on the water.
Soon will have to pack once more as we leave for Orlando tomorrow.
Below, big turtle.



5 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

Miami sounds nice, did you get pictures of the art deco Buildings? They look interesting on tv. What are you knitting? I would like to go on a knitting cruise, they have one apparently.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Did you notice anything going on when they announced Castro's death?

I agree with you about memorials -- I think the 9/11 was shocking because USA not used to being invincible.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

We went to a knitting store in Port Vanaveral where they are organizing their third knitting cruise. We got info.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

We ate at a Cuban restaurant yesterday and they had additional big Cuban flags out. I guess there was a lot of celebrating in Little Havana but that was far from us.

2:45 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Castro is an interesting figure, so polarizing.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home