Sunday, November 06, 2016

Bratislava

Nov 1 to 6
This is a very cool city. I am staying in the old town and it is mostly pedestrian, so not too many worries about traffic. It is also a bit deceiving about how big it is. There are little archways all over which lead to a courtyard which have more buildings, stores etc.My apartment is in one of the courtyards. My landlord arranged for a taxi to meet me at the train station, then met me where the taxi dropped me off to walk over to the apartment. Quite lovely not to have to figure out where to go by myself.

I walked up to the Bratislava Castle and toured around that. Very interesting, it has been restored, and is now a museum. Part of it is an art gallery with pictures of Slovaks, both famous and regular people. Most of them had dad like noses, very strong looking. You also get a very good view of the city, it is kind of like Budapest, one side of the river quite flat, the other side very hilly. The flat side has most of the new buildings, lots of very square looking apartments.I went out for supper the other night, to a restaurant recommended by Rado (landlord) and had schnitzel and potato salad, along with some lovely sausage and a beef broth soup. For dessert they had poppyseed pyrogies, but I was too full to try them.


I am doing laundry this morning, then will head out for a little more exploring this afternoon. I leave tomorrow back to the UK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home