Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Hello Nova Scotia!

I have more or less successfully made the transition from coast to coast.  I don't have my furniture yet, or the car, but Patches made it here safely, and so did I. 

Leaving Tofino was sad, but by the end I had no furniture, so it didn't seem very practical to change plans by then.  I left early in the morning the day after my last services, which was good -there was only one person that I saw up and about, so I was able to minimize the last minute good byes.  My last day of services was really nice.  Lots of people came to Sunday morning, which was really nice, and we had cake afterwards.  That afternoon there was a memorial at the Legion, so I got to see a bunch of people there as well.  Then after the services in Ucluelet, I went for supper at Kuma, which was my favourite restaurant.

On the Monday I had to drive to Vancouver, drop the car off at the shipping agency, and get Patches to Air Canada Cargo, so she could fly to Halifax.  I wasn't sure how it was all going to work, but with the help of the Lower Mainland public transportation, Google Maps, and a cat friendly cab company, it all worked out, and didn't even cost that much.

Tuesday I flew to Kelowna, where I got to see Grandma and Jim.  Then it was off to Rocky for a couple night, and lots of time playing with the boys.  They are full of energy for sure.  I booked a late night flight out of Edmonton, so I was able to meet with Grace and Dallyn and Sam and Nancy and Allison for supper.  I arrived in Halifax about 10 in the morning, but hadn't slept on the plane.

Once I got here I discovered that Allie had a very busy week.  We had to move her out of her apartment and in with a friend, move most of her stuff to Amherst, and organize a big Diocesan Youth Conference.  I drove a U-Haul for the first time, through Halifax and across the bridge, and then down to Amherst.  It was less complicated than  I thought it would be.  Then I quickly unloaded the U-Haul in Amherst, and had to jump back in, and pick up the lady who was the keynote speaker for the conference, who had landed in Moncton.  Meanwhile, Allie was collecting Patches from the friends who she was staying with.

I am settling in well to the new house.  Allie sent down enough furniture that I'm not uncomfortable, and it really is a lovely space.  It has wood floors through most of it, with laminate in the den, tile in the office and lino in the kitchen.  The cupboards are really lovely pine.  Allie keeps talking about painting them, but I love the wood.  Upstairs is carpet and laminate.  Patches loves the carpet.  I guess she's not used to it, as it was all laminate in Tofino. 

Yesterday was my first day of work at the new church.  They have a nonstipendary priest who has been there for years and years- she grew up in the church.  So she knows everything and everyone, and most of my first day was her telling me what's what, and what's when.  I certainly appreciated having someone to answer my questions! 

It's good to be settled, and I'm looking forward to having the car and furniture here as well!

4 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Wow, that is a lot of visiting in a short amount of time. Glad you getting settled.

6:27 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Glad everything has worked out for you so well. When does your car etc arrive.sent a note to you and ally to her old address.....hope she gets it

11:21 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I have the feeling That most of Allie's weeks are busy.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

Good thing you and Patches arrived safe, that is the most important part.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home