Sunday, October 02, 2016

On my own

Sep 28 to Oct 1
Bletchley was fantastic, I highly recommend it. It has lots of room on the grounds, a pond, places to play tennis, table tennis and to picnic at. We took the train from London, and the gates to Bletchley were only about 300 yards from the station. The exhibits were very well laid out and lots of commentary from people who worked there during the war. After watching a film about the Enigma machine I finally understand how it worked, I guess I am more of a visual learner than  just reading about it. There was also a display about the movie The Imitation Game. After finishing in Bletchley we returned home and had supper at a pub recommended by our landlady, very yummy food.

Grace left the next day for Oxford and I did some laundry. One of the bonuses of renting a flat, laundry facilities. After that was done I went out to Canary Wharf, had some lunch and went to the Docklands Museum. Another well laid out museum, with lots of information and not too crowded. I appreciate places that are not crowded, after being in central London trying to make my way places.

Friday morning I got up and caught the bus for Oxford. Anne met me at the bus stop and we walked back to her house. What a nice place she and Del have. Lots of room for visitors, a big back garden. I really like it. Del took a half day off from work, and drove us out to Warwick to see the castle. Unfortunately we were a bit late, so only had an hour there before it closed, but I did get to see the trebuchet in  action. We stopped at a little tearoom for cream tea and then walked around Warwick, lots of old building, but there seems to be a disproportionate number of hairdressers. Supper was Indian food at Anne and Del's.

Saturday morning, brunch then I caught my bus to London and transferred to a bus for Norwich. The bus route out of London, took me right pas the Mile End Tube Station, which is the station closest to the flat. Bus was pretty uneventful except when  lining up to get on the bus, a couple of guys got into a shoving match, one saying the other jumped the queue, no blood was shed. Norwich seems quite pretty, you can still see some of the wall that surrounded the city in some parts. My room at the hotel is small, but looks out on the river, so a peaceful view. I shall explore the city today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I am really enjoying your updates.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Thanks, looking forward to yours too.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home