Friday, October 17, 2014

Come on, Jaguars!

 The jaguar is a big pre-Columbian symbol in both Peru and Colombia. I've been seeing lots of ancient art and goldworks, and jaguar is prominent symbol. No badgers, though. YET.

I am in chiclayo, Peru today. Took bus from Trujillo, on the coast. I'm in the northern part of Peru, closer to the Ecuadorean border. Trujillo is a colonial town; vivid colours on buildings in the old city, and I stayed in an old colonial hotel. Shabby, but lovely. But I like my BRIGHT ORANGE hotel in chiclayo better--better bed. Grace might like it too.

Trujillo reminds me a little of New Orleans. I guess that is the NOLA Spanish influence? Also, yesterday was a cancer awareness day and so I came across a PARADE with marching band, and kids dressed variously as fruits and vegetables and cancerous tumours (?). Also very NOLA?

Two days in Trujillo: one to go see ancient ruins. Huaca del sol, and huaca de la Luna, and Chan Chan. Ppl lived there 800 years ago? The buildings have been buried by sand for centuries and raided by tomb raiders, but some of the murals and even colours remain. Some artworks found -- so very fine and beautiful.

And! I went to beach town huanchaco and took SURFING lesson! I did it with very nice German woman named Anna, whom I met on Chan Chan tour, and we liked each other right away. Both of us said surfing was not the kind of thing we were ever likely to do -- so I talked her into it. Instructor, Chicho, and his brother Omar were competitors 30 years ago and teach now. I *almost* stood up! Two hour lesson, but after 90 minutes, I stopped. Sore today! Need a lot of core strength. But I am excited I tried. Then we had Cuzquena beers and ceviche (raw fish salad with lemon and onion) on a patio. Watching the ocean and the real surfers go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Also thought of Will because Chicho and Omar had a friend in Torino. And we're very catholic. Self portraits of surfing action with bible quotes (Juan 1:12)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You will have to try the waves in Tofino now.

8:39 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Wow - what an exciting trip - all those new sights and experiences - wish I were young again!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Yes you and "Father Surf" can hang ten.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home