Thursday, February 20, 2014

Canterbury

I'm having fun in Canterbury!  Getting here was an adventure in itself- we left Venton house around ten, and after some very able driving by dad, and navigating by mom, I was dropped at the Weymouth train station around one.  This was perfect, as there was a trail leaving at one twenty. The train was quite empty for the first hour or so, and the only downside was that all the bathrooms appeared to be out of order.  We were stopped at Southampton for about twenty minutes, as there was someone on the tracks ahead of us.  The conductor was very good about it, and kept giving us updates, even if the update was " I still don't know what's going on".   I wasn't worried about the delay, as I had lots of time to make my connection but  I was happy when he said that we would be skipping the rest of the stations, and going directly to London!

My luggage and I navigated the Underground just fine.  They have lots of good signs, and I was easily able to figure out where to go.  The trouble started when reached St. Pancreas Station.  I found the listing for the train I thought I was supposed to be on- the 5:40.  However, on the list of destinations,  they hadn't listed Canterbury.  So I checked online, and the journey planner said that train was cancelled!  Somewhat worried, I asked a ticket agent which train to take to Canterbury, and she directed me to the 5:40. When I got to the platform (with fear and trembling in my heart) they announced that the tracks were flooded near Canterbury, and those who were going there would take the train partway, then switch to a bus.  It all worked out with the usual British efficiency, and I was able to get a cab to my hotel.

I'm staying at a small hotel about ten minutes from the city center.  My room is tiny- a single bed and desk and very small cupboard, but it does have an ensuite bathroom, and the shower head is affixed to the wall, and at a good height!

Today, after a restful, Nyquill fueled night, I went to see the Cathedral.  In my usual fashion I got lost, and ended up walking most of the way around the precincts before going in.   It was an amazing place- I took a guided tour, and enjoyed it a lot.  Lots of lovely historical and churchy artifacts

After the CThedral I went and saw Eastgate hospital which was a hostel for pilgrims.  The building dates from the twelfth century, which was amazing.    

I've got a bit of a old, so I was pretty tired, and came back to the hotel to collapse for a while.  I've just come in from getting some supper, ad I think I'll have a quiet restful night, before going to see more churches in the morning!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home