Thursday, March 24, 2011

NOLA!

Lisa and I both made it!

We are in our hotel -- terrace view of the courtyard, pool, and palm trees.

She got here yesterday after an overnight flight, and it took her two hours to check in....mixup on the reservation (sigh). But instead of giving in to sleep-deprived despair, she went to Cafe du Monde, had strong coffee and beignets, and watched people go by. After she got in, she waited for me to arrive at 4....except that my flight arrived at 7 instead. So she waited and waited and then went to eat something while she worried that I was dead in a ditch. She said, "I thought maybe Mom and Richard knew you didn't make it but they weren't telling me because I was alone."

But then I arrived! Only to find that I'd lost my wallet somewhere along the way. So phoned the sky shuttle, and the dispatcher was super nice -- she phoned my driver, Mr. Al. Mr. Al did indeed find my wallet. He went out of his way to bring it back to the hotel at 10pm. He said, "Be more careful next time." I gave him $20 and almost cried.

Then Lisa and I went out for beans, rice, and beer in a 1700s building. All is well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

It would be just like Mom and Richard to keep news like you dead in a ditch from Lisa.
Are you staying in the same place as last year?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

We are! We have a nice balcony, and we are in the centre of the action (just off Bourbon St. Which is nuts.)

We just saw a brass band parade in support of Japan and some breakdancers. and ate beans & rice again. And walked 5km today. And drank beer.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home