Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eleven Days

Just eleven days left in Sri Lanka! This means that we have reached the point when there is way too much left, and not enough time. This week and next will be pretty busy- I'm going north, then east then south, all within a couple days. And Friday the 23rd, I fly out to London for a few days, and then home! It feels strange to be almost done- I have gotten used to things here (even the traffic!) and have started enjoying the food. Although I won't be sorry to not eat rice for a while...

Last Friday I went to see the elephants at the elephant orphanage, where they rescue elephants that are orphaned or abandoned. I posted all about it on my blog, but thought people here would appreciate a few extra elephant pictures.



These are pictures with me and a couple of the priests at the near by church, St. Michael and All Angels. On the left is Fr. Dushantha, who has been one of my supervisors, and is working really hard to make sure that I see everything that is worthwhile seeing. He's great about taking me around Colombo, and showing me the people and places here. On the other side is Fr. Sathi, who is a bit of an agitator. He fights for the working person in Sri Lanka, and gets really angry at me if I don't go visit the oppressed and downtrodden everywhere I go. I get a kick out of him.


There is also a picture of me in my new cassock - I had it made here. A cassock like this in Canada will cost me about $300. For this one, the material was rs 1650 (about $15.00) and the sewing (tailored just for me by a friend of Fr. Dushantha) was rs 600 ($5.40). It's a very nice cassock, and all the nicer for being cheap.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Nice cassock, dude. :p

5:59 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You are a total negative of the friend on your right.
I like the cassock too. Are they always worn with the sash?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Baby elephants. Orphaned. Waaaaah.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

I like the black sash routine you boys have going on there.

7:08 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Nice looking group. Plus elephants!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Cincture, not sash. Sheesh. Sometimes people have the wide black one like this, sometimes a rope one. My old cassock had neither because it was cheap quality.

9:52 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Cincture much more priestly.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Sash makes me think of the Miss America pageant.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home