Saturday, February 28, 2009

Uck

I was just sitting here thinking of what to write then looked at the keyboard, which is gross. I must clean it after this. No wonder there are a ton of germs on these things.
I worked 3 days that went well and were ++positive. We had a 2nd meeting of our psychiatric nursing practice committee and it went swimmingly. The people on it are great. I feel positive changes will happen. We are 1st looking at PICU practices-best practices within that area. Plus we will go on some field trips to see other PICU's and what they do there. The jerk who tried to bully me was working, but in the other area, so it was no issue, though he tried some stuff, he was unsuccessful in undermining me-and I was ever so pleasant saying good bye-to him and he then went in a singsong voice 'umm hmm', because he was probably pissed that his tactic didn't work. F you buddy-I'm wise to your game. Grace and Scott: though nursing is a great profession, you will hear the term "nurses eating their young"-referring to horizontal violence in the workplace. It's there, prepare for it, don't put up with it, don't do it to others. Isn't that a dogmatic soundbite?
Sorry for offensive letter F.
And I am off for 2 weeks as I had to use up my education hours for the course I am doing before Mar 14th. All very awesome. Richard and I may go to Nakusp for a night or two. If Mom will cat sit? I haven't actually asked her this yet.
We went to a movie put on by the local Amnesty International group on James Orbinski-the Canadian head of Medicine Sans Frontiers when they won the Nobel Peace prize. he wrote 'An Imperfect Offering'-I highly recommend it. Mom and I liked the movie. Richard felt that he had a God complex. Maybe, generally I think it is hard for both doctors and nurses to avoid it. You spend your workday 'saving lives' and perhaps forget that you are only assisting the person-they and their bodies save themselves-you are there to provide a service to help them do that. It is good to remember this. Makes me think of how annoyed I get about doctors having the primo parking spots at the hospital. Actually, shouldn't the patients and families have those ones? After all, they are the ones who are SICK and need better parking. In the health care system, patients often feel like we are going out of our way to be helpful etc., when actually we get paid for doing this and it is our job! I'm not saying that there aren't times when I feel that yes, I put up with stuff that other people have no concept of, and that sometimes I am quite frankly doing a job that I should be recognized for, but really, I get paid well and many other people do work that is vital to our survival. Patients shouldn't feel like they need to be indebted to the health care system and we shouldn't be feeling that by doing our job, that we are doing sick people a favour.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I'm seeing that the F in your labels goes with the title of your post. Deliberate?

12:35 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

No, not at all-but it makes me laugh that you saw this! It must have been subconscious.
Snicker.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I can understand why Dr's and nurses get a god complex. I think one of the reasons people feel grateful is because when you run into some of the types that do care, and compare them to others, you feel lucky to be dealing with a caring person. I think it is the same with all professions, people who are not very happy at their jobs, stay, make themselves miserable, and for what? I work with so many people who are cranky and negative, that I cannot believe it. I get kind of cranky too, but I really try to make sure that I don't feel like like that day after day. Life is too short, and I don't think that my job is worth it no matter how much I get paid. All in all I feel very thankful to have the life I lead, there are way more good days then bad days.

10:10 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I have to stop putting semi colons between my labels. Though I think that soapbox and F you probably go together nicely

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home