Friday, September 02, 2011

September Already






I find it amazing how quickly time goes by, 8 months of the year gone. It feels like fall here, highs the last few days have been mid teens, with a cool breeze. No 30+ for us.

We have 3 new people at work, two started this week and one last week. Two of them are recent grads, one from U of A with a business degree (he doesn't know Sam, I checked) and the second just received his MBA from U of A. I did a couple of training sessions for them, one on the administrative stuff (we have 5 different places to report time, all are required) and one on the work process. When I was asked if I would do it, I said yes, because that way I can make sure they do things as I like it. I like having new young people at work, it is nice to see the enthusiasm. I also think if we hire them when they are young they won't know what the working world is all about and think that IBM is normal.

I was hoping to see Nancy last week but it ended up not working out. She was going to come back in a couple of weeks, because she has a job on either a TV show or movie for APTN. They were ahead of schedule so wanted her to shoot her scenes last week. Since I just saw her in Van in May I don't feel too bad about missing her.

I have a new project, I am scanning all my old photos. I started with 1973/74 and it brings all kinds of memories back. Lots of pictures of Lisa and Allison, what a pair of cuties. Mom and Dad look so young, both with dark hair, and in Dad's case a fair amount of hair. The rest of us look mostly the same, although some of us have darker hair too, and not so many laugh lines as we have now.

I finally got my passport stuff done. I tried to just do a renewal, but because it got wet when I had the flood in my apartment, no go. So the long form and a stat dec to say how it got damaged. It is to be mailed out on September 16, so just in time for the great road trip. I always have good intentions of getting things done early, but generally, it ends up being last minute.

I am still loving my part time, the three days seem to fly by, and I find I can stand anything for 3 days.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous beth said...

so great to see the old photos - what a nice looking family we had! Those latecomers were really sweet. really looking forward to seeing you'all during the great road trip

7:48 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I agree re young staff.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous beth said...

plus - the big kids look pretty great too

3:07 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Anne used to wear that little kilt of Allison's in the top pic.

5:25 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

looking at those pictures makes me feel 4 again!
Part time-I think that's what all work should be.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

It is nice to have new young people at work. Especially in places where many have been there for decades - at my work, they had a hiring gap for permanent staff between 1982 (or something like) and 2000.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home