Friday, July 29, 2011

The other day I stopped by 7-11 for a slurpee on my way back home after a round of visiting parishoners. The clerk, who looked middle eastern and had a slight accent, was giving me this very weird look the whole time I was in line. Finally I got up to the counter, and she says to me very politly "excuse me, I am wondering: what is that thing on your neck?" I didn't know what she meant at first, but then I realized that I was wearing my clerical collar! I guess she had never seen one.

Peter is away on holidays, so I'm in charge, more or less. So far, nothing has collapsed. I did another interment today - and had to dig the hole for the ashes. What made it tricky is that there was already one set of ashes in the hole, and they were not in a container, so I had to be careful not to disturb them. But the service was quite nice.

Other than the odd interment or funeral, things have been going along quite normally. My idea of people's ages is beginning to skew - I see more 90+ year olds in a week than ever before in my life, and 70 is beginng to seem quite spry! I had to do the my first children's time at church - the parable of the kingdom of God being like yeast working it's way through dough. So, I got up that morning and mixed up a batch of pizza dough to show the kids. Then I took it home, and made pizza.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Nicely done re: pizza dough! I think God does not like wasted dough. nursing is similar in terms of rethinking what normal is-though I don't actually work with many old people compared to most nurses. But my idea of what is usual behaviour or thoughts has changed dramatically. In a positive way-all humans are a little weird, I appreciate that more now.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Maybe Lisa and Will have more opportunity to see people when they are not putting the act for the world to see so they get a much different insight.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Also, your parishioners seem to be dropping off like flies.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Lisa gets to also see people potentially at their worst because they are upset and in pain. But I think people still put on an act for clergy? Maybe?

Now, when people are coming in for their information needs -- that's what you really see what's going on with them.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You can't hide from your librarian.

10:01 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Librarians always have their finger on the pulse of humanity.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home