Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Done!

I've been pretty busy for the past few weeks with my clinical, but I wrote the final exam today, so I'm done! Unfortunately I have to meet with my instructor for my final evaluation on Dec 20 in the afternoon, so I won't be back in Rocky until Dec 21, which is pretty annoying. But now I have lots of free time in the city for Christmas shopping, some of which I did right after my exam.

The rotation I just did was community/obstetrics. The community portion, which was the main bit, was focused on small children and new mothers. I got to go on Healthy Beginnings visits with a nurse, which is where a nurse does a home visit with all newborns and their mothers within 24 hours of being discharged from the hospital. I also got to observe the Well Child Clinic, where they do the childhood immunizations. There was a lot of screaming. On one day I got to shadow a midwife at her clinic, so there was a lot of assessments of pregnant ladies there. I found it pretty interesting, especially after she showed me a video of some home water births. After going through this course and learning about all the things that can go wrong during birth, I don't think I would ever want to deliver at home. But the midwife said that we learn too much propaganda in nursing school, and they want to medicalize everything so that's what we are taught. I'm still not convinced.

The obstetrics portion was the best part of the last 6 weeks. We only get 6 days in the hospital- 3 on labour and delivery and 3 on post partum. So I showed up for my first labour and delivery day at 6:45 at the Grey Nuns, only to discover that my instructor was sick and I was to go home. She ended up being sick for all 3 of my labour and delivery days, so I had the whole week off because of Remembrance Day. The next week I went to post partum, but the unit I was on was mostly antepartum moms, so I didn't get to see many babies. I did get to put monitors on for fetal heart rates, though. We had to make up our labour and delivery days on a weekend, which was lame, especially since it was chocolates weekend. I got to see one vaginal birth and one c-section, as well as an epidural. We were lucky to see a c-section, since it was a weekend and none were scheduled, but there was an emergency type one, and they let all 5 of the students watch, which is pretty unheard of. Then there was no one else giving birth that day, so I got to go home early.

So I'm glad community is over, since it was pretty boring since there was not a whole bunch for us to do, and there was a lot of assignments, but I'm sorry OB had to be so short. I don't think I would actually want to work there for good, but it was fun to see all the new things.

5 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

After working in the hospital, I think 'who would want to give birth there? It's better at home'

3:48 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm done school now TOOOOOOOOOOOO

10:42 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

look at you 2 lucky ducks - Al & Grace - all that time off, but then you've been working hard so fair is fair

11:09 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Mom and Geoff that's the problem with being retired. You never get time off.

4:35 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

you got that right!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home