Sunday, May 16, 2010

Conferencing in Florida

Well, after all those pictures of Costa Rica I figured I should put up some photos of my Florida adventure. I had a great time at the conference - there were some really interesting talks and some good posters, plus lots of other nerds to chat to. The house we stayed at was great (here is a photo of the pool area):




The housemates were awesome too. It was me, a colleague from Guelph who is now living in Texas, and some other members and former member of my former supervisor's lab who I hadn't met. Here is an action shot of some of the housemates:



This is a banyan tree - the most complicated-looking tree I had ever seen. The branches grow down to become roots!



We went on a "Sunset Cruise" and, as promised, saw a sunset:



Also lots of houses - 19 million, 20 million, 24-million dollar houses - that are HOLIDAY HOMES. People only live in these for a few weeks or months during the year. Craziness!

Also we saw lots of dolphins. Apparently they like to play in boat wakes. Hard to get a good photo, though!



It was very windy...





The conference part of the trip was really great, but I had added a few days on the end to go see some stuff in Florida. I wanted to check out Key West or Miami - both very easy to get to from Fort Myers. However, my body had other plans as I got deathly ill as soon as I dropped everyone else off at the airport. Grrr. So I've been hunkering down at the hostel (luckily it's a low-key, friendly one where the owner has provided me with cough syrup and tea) instead. Very sad not to get out more, but really nothing I can do. Now the worst seems to be over (in time to leave tomorrow) although I am still coughing up disgusting stuff - THAT will be fun on the plane! But hey, at least for the moment I can chill in the hammock and watch the lizards run around...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Great pictures Anne, makes me want to go to Florida now!! But Back to work instead.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Glad you had a good time, sorry about the sickness. Looks like a lot of fun. See any monkeys?

6:36 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

No monkeys. I feel very left out.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

Awesome action shot! Get well soon, Anne.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home