Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our first castle




We have seen lots of castles from a distance on this trip but Stirling Castle today was the first one we went right into. One good thing about travelling this time of year is that places are not crowded like in the summer. We actually drove to Stirling and parked right outside the castle, something I'm sure would be impossible in the summer. We haven't gone to Edinburgh Castle yet but I can't imagine that it could be better than Stirling. We took a most interesting tour of the castle, then a tour of Argyll Lodgings which was just as good. Argyll Lodgings is a house that has been partly restored to the way it was in the late 1600s. Something interesting - it was used as a youth hostel for some years, and Jude and I realized that was where we stayed in 1977 when we visited Stirling. So all kinds of people from rich noblemen and women to lowly backpacking kids have slept there in the last 500 years.
You can see from the picture what a beautiful view there is from on the top of the castle. I wish we could have spent more time there but we took a while to get going this morning. However, we have vowed to get up early tomorrow to take the train into Edinburgh so we have lots of time there. We wanted to go on an underground tour in Edinburgh but they are not available every day at this time of the year. A disadvantage of travelling in November. There will be lots of other stuff to see anyway and I would like to spend some time shopping.
So far no fights among the badgers, except between Lisa and Richard as usual.

8 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

We just bicker, not fighting.
It helps keep our relationship strong and healthy.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Stirling is one of my faves. Tim and I explored it when he visited me in Scotland!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Didn't make it to the Wallace monument, eh? Too bad, his sword is taller than the majority of the family.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

We might go back to Stirling. If so, we will gaze upon the Wallace monument. Want to see if he looks like Mel Gibson.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

The worst souvenir I've seen yet is an airbrushed t-shirt that has a Cro-Magnon-Mel-Gibson-looking Scot on it, standing with sword on highlands, with the caption "FREEDOM".

12:15 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I think that same shirt was around when I was there

4:55 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I should have bought it for you.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

It might be a picture of that weird statue by the monument. It is pretty cro-magnon. Will have to see if I can find the photo and post it (got one of Timmy in front of it, I think).

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home