Friday, August 28, 2009

Halp

Cannot.....attend....anymore....meetings....
Spent whole week in them learning about teaching at UBC-O.
And I think I'm in a better position than lots of new staff as I went to school there not so long ago. I understand the curriculum etc. Know many of the staff, on and on.
They have been very welcoming to me-it is nice to go to meetings and see people who are happy that I am working there.
One prof said to me, 'I'm not surprised to see you here'. I said, "Well, I feel a bit surprised'. I think I have to let go some of my insecurity about the whole thing. I shall just muddle on and act as if I know what I'm doing until I actually do know.
On another note-booked our tickets to Scotland, arriving there on the 11th as we are making a brief detour to Ontario.
OK, another meeting, this for IHA though-on policy, but one that i interested in.

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

Lisa, I have found if you project confidence no one questions that you do not know what the heck you are doing. It sure seems like a great opportunity, congrats.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'll bet most people feel as if they are impostors. I agree with Laura, just act as if you know what you're doing and everyone will assume that you do.

11:02 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Yes, new hires had a discussion about how we all felt like impostors. It was bonding experience.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Will you be teaching full time? Or just part time? I feel as though I don't know much about your new role.

10:03 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

it is a parttime poistion, but don't stsrt actually teaching until next month (Oct). I teach students clinical psych Thurs/Fri from 7 am-230 pm.
I'll have 2 sets of students rotating through-one set for 6 weeks, then another.
Basically, I supervise their practice, evaluate that, and then send them on their way. God forbid I have to fail someone. ug. that's what will wear me out-when someone's not doing well. things like grade appeals come up then.
I also ahve to read their journals that they do each week on their practice. You will find out about these Grace. And if like 90% of my class will feel aggravated about doing them-though they really do help you evaluate how you're doing.
I would just like to be fair.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home