Monday, April 07, 2014

New Orleans and Colombia

I have been meaning to post about NOLA for a while now. It was a very very good trip. We did a lot of the usual -- drinks on patios, slow walks through neighbourhoods, tasty food -- and one unusual. This year, our trip coincided with St. Joseph's Day, which is a big thing for Catholics (?). I got to NOLA on Sunday (everyone else on the Monday), and I had felt a bit sad because I was getting in town too late for this Super Sunday event with the Mardi Gras Indians. Who are these people, you may ask? They perform traditionally in NOLA only 3 times a year! You can read about them.

On Tuesday, we found out that these guys would be out and about, in full costume, on St. Joseph's Day. Our friend Sue, who is never shy about asking strangers about things, found out the general area they'd be. So we had afternoon cocktails at a nice old hotel in the garden district, and then went to said neighbourhood. We found beer being sold off the back of trucks, people standing and chatting, and a very very nice woman named Cindy, who used to live in the area. She took us up and down several streets to see if we could encounter a troop. (is this what they are called? I'm not sure.) We found maybe 4 different groups, all in such elaborate costumes. Beaded portraits, and scenes, and abstractions. It was incredible - often they would stop and let you take a photo. (I didn't get any, but friends did.) It all ended as a big outdoor party that lasted all night. We got some fried chicken and macaroni salad off a stand and then hobbled home in impractical sandals (I had not been aware I'd be on my feet all day). It felt pretty special.

And, I go to Colombia in October for this conference I've been accepted to! Am excited, and nervous. I have some friends from there / who have visited there, so they have been offering some good suggestions of things to do and see. wheeeeee!

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I am glad you posted. I was worried you were ignoring me.

4:21 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

She also doesn't answer the phone or the door.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home